Brother released from prison. What are his chances of an OTR job?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by transportHER, Feb 1, 2012.

1. transportHER

transportHER <strong>The Dynamic Duo</strong>

May 3, 2011
    Appreciate the info. That is encouraging.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. jimvrg

jimvrg Medium Load Member

Jan 11, 2012
    yellville arkansas
    good luck most companys wont hire with drug related charges much less murder,just saying it sucks but true

4. mgfg

mgfg Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2010
    You would want a drug peddling murderer on your payroll?

5. MissinMyMan

MissinMyMan Redneck Hillbilly

Jan 17, 2012
    Alabama
    OK my man got a ticket for turkey hunting over corn about five years ago and they questioned that . We had totally forgotten about it.
    It wasn't even our corn but didn't matter. He still got a criminal record.

Just saying ....got to be real right.

6. shriner75

shriner75 Heavy Load Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Minnesota, dontcha know...
    He just needs to be honest about everything and see where it leads him. Good luck to yall.

7. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    my sister robbed a bank. not once but twice.

the state pput her through schooling for dentistry. once she got out of prison. she graduated from college 3 years ago. she works for one of them big hotels downtown taking reservations. college worked out real good for her. NOT.

dude6710 and crb Thank this.
  8. bubba mark

bubba mark Medium Load Member

Apr 9, 2009

I have a driver who spent 14 years in prison on a manslaughter charge. He's one of the best drivers I've ever had. It is possible for people to change. They just have to be given the opportunity to do so.

YoungTater and Newtrucker83 Thank this.
  9. mgfg

mgfg Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2010
    I suppose your tolerance for risk is higher than some. Do your customers have the same tolerance? I'll bet there's some business' that wouldn't be very happy knowing that someone that had a manslaughter conviction was on THEIR dock and moving their freight.

It's more than you thinking that the person is OK.

10. Winchester Magnum

Winchester Magnum Road Train Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Alaska highway
    Maybe when/if the economy makes a huge turn upward and there is again a serious demand for drivers, there's the slightest outside chance someone will hire him....but right now I'd say the odds of a murderer getting an OTR driving job are about as low as seeing a white person on a TV commercial.

The question I've asked for years is why do seemingly so many hard time convicts seek trucking?

CenutryClass Thanks this.
  11. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    He might have a lot better luck in getting a local job hauling aggregate. If he comes out of prison clean from drugs, so that he can pass the pee tests, and if he remains that way, he probably has a better chance than if he had been convicted of some type of theft.

I doubt that any big freight company will look at him, at least for several years. But hauling sand/gravel/hotmix is not that bad of a job, and they really are not that picky.

Obviously, I do not know you, or him. But speaking as a retired cop here, he screwed up big time. But he has served his time. I hope that things will work out for him.

transportHER Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.