Brother released from prison. What are his chances of an OTR job?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by transportHER, Feb 1, 2012.

1. boxxxtrucker

boxxxtrucker Light Load Member

Western express won't hire anybody on parole and they have guidelines as to what type of convictions are suitable. I'm pretty sure first degree or second degree murder is outside of what they'd allow...

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. EZX1100

EZX1100 Road Train Member

Aug 18, 2012
    the PO will help him, but society wont want him

even walmart wont hire if you have a record

sad that a person does their time but society keeps punishing them

one of the most inspiring stories i have heard is when a guy comes out of jail and starts a business, this way, he doesnt have to work for anyone

if he is your brother, why dont you start some kind of business and hire him, (a frank wagon, ice cream truck, lemonade stand) that seems to be the best way for ex cons

4. boxxxtrucker

Yeah I don't get it either. You've got individuals that have paid their debt to society, desperate for work and used to living in small, enclosed spaces either alone or with another individual. They'd be perfect for an OTR career IMO. Not always, but hell, most of these guys just caught a bad break and need a hand back up. Why not give em an opportunity to be successful in a career most companies can't find bodies to fill...

5. Bumpy

Bumpy Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2009
    New Ulm,MN
    I agree with the last few posts and am wondering;why does it have to be a "company" job? Could not someone on parole work/drive for an Owner-Op?

6. EZX1100

EZX1100 Road Train Member

Aug 18, 2012
    the problem with ex cons is the same problem with trucks

media

an ex con kills someone or rapes someone or commits armed robbery, the politicians are the first to grandstand about how tough they are on crime, and then the lawyers blame the companies for hiring the felon

with trucks, people see this big rig squashing a small car and everyone is up in arms, regardless of who is to blame

7. boxxxtrucker

I suppose if they purchased their own truck and brokered their own loads then yes they could. But most O/Os are nothing more than glorified company drivers, who can deny dispatch and work the regions they want to, but not much else. And I believe most company o/o's are held to similar hiring standards...

8. Bumpy

Bumpy Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2009
    New Ulm,MN
    To any problem;there IS always a solution.. I have 4 friends at home who have their own authority. ANY problem can be figured out;it may take a little work and effort-but it can be done.

123456 Thanks this.
  9. larry_minn

larry_minn Light Load Member

Nov 15, 2012
    I see we are comming up on a yr. How are things going?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.