Bubbles in coolant reservoir

Discussion in 'Volvo Forum' started by JPSIPPY, Jun 13, 2019.

1. Opendeckin

Opendeckin Medium Load Member

May 20, 2018
    Coolant runs through the air compressor to keep it from overheating. If the air compressor head gasket blows it will blow bubbles into the coolant system. It's rare, but it happens.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Cam Roberts

Cam Roberts Road Train Member

May 13, 2018
    Ok i think we got the air compressor thing covered twice now. Im taking people want an apology for my information screw up so i dont get quoted for a third time ? Sorry about not thinking on that aspect

Bean Jr. and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  4. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Lol, good info, as always.

5. Cam Roberts

Cam Roberts Road Train Member

May 13, 2018
    My comment about air compressor was really about the guy questioning coolant bubbles and his air dryer purging frequently. And that was the post i qouted with responce. That tends to be governor or purge valve

Bean Jr. and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  6. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Oh yeah, I got it. If his air compressor is suspect, all he has to do is disconnect supply hose. ( I hate to bring up the air compressor again). Like I said good info from your posts, as always.

Cam Roberts Thanks this.
  7. JPSIPPY

JPSIPPY Bobtail Member

Dec 13, 2011
    cambridge,on
    But thing is when mech at dealership overfill reservoir above max bubbles disappear. They change both caps on reservoir.
    So far I'm convinced with reply from Rideandrepair guy.also it's kind of good news for me thinking about expensive repairs.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
  8. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    As the one post sort of explained.

If the caps go bad. They won't hold pressure and reduced boiling point occurs. If there's no catch then it overflows to the ground. Loss of coolant.

9. Gurjap

Gurjap Light Load Member

Mar 18, 2020
    I have the same problem on my Volvo. If the head gasket were to be the problem what could be a possible solution and how much would it approximately cost?

10. Burdisco

Burdisco Light Load Member

Apr 25, 2015
    Just for info, With an Isx you can get bubbles and have the coolant pushed out if the air compressor is worn. It happened to me and it took for ever to get the shop to replace the compressor. After screwing around with expansion tanks and the cap changing the compressor solved the problem of bubbles and coolant being dumped on the ground..

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.