Bulkmatic, as it happens...

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by Suspect Zero, Apr 24, 2018.

1. Suspect Zero

Suspect Zero Road Train Member

Oct 10, 2016
    Burbank, IL
    I did some searching thru the forums here and really didn't find much on this company so figured I would attempt to keep track of how things do or don't go as I go thru the hiring/employment process with them.

I will do my best to keep this up to date as things happen.

Saw an ad posted on Craigslist for a local/regional driver. 1 year minimum driving experience, no pneumatic experience needed. I have just barely 1 year OTR experience and don't know jack about hopper bottom trailers/PTOs. Family matters have forced me to come off the road and try to find something home most nights and at the moment this is about as close to what I need on all fronts as there is.

Job listed as home most nights (drivers average 2 nights out a month according to the ad), ability to gross $1,300-1,500/week with $6,000 sign on bonus (okay, this one really worries me. sign on bonuses generally seem to mean really crappy job or company, or both).

Called and spent about an hour on the phone with a recruiter. Overall the guy was very laid back, no hard sell at all. Took the time to answer all my questions.

The board strokes of what I was told so far in no particular order:

>Will need to ask about sign on bonus during interview. He knew it was there and verified it was $6,000 but was unsure about payout structure. No contract for signing your life away for a year or anything like that to get bonus, free to walk anytime.
    > Inward and outward facing cameras.
    >Pay structure is somewhat strange, to me at least.
    > Loads pay a flat rate, differing from load to load dependent on how far they go.
    >Drop/Hook pays $15
    >Loading pays $45
    >Unloading pays $55
    >Must be able to drive manual transmission.
    >Smoking allowed in truck, but not during loading/unloading at customer.
    >General starting time mostly between 0400-0800.
    >Phone policy. They have a "No Distractions" policy. Man said he is fairly sure you can use phone as long as it's Blutooth but couldn't be 100% sure and asked me to verify with the safety department, which is where my completed application would dump to.
    >Training pay is flat rate of $180/day. Training will be anywhere from 3 to 6 weeks depending on how you progress.
    >Benefits kick in on the 1st of the month after 60 days employment. You are considered an employee your first day there, no waiting until after training is complete and you go on your own. Medical thru Cigna, dental and vision thru MetLife.
    >If you drive a day cab and are on the road overnight you are put in a hotel room.
    >EZPass for tolls (or whatever you call it, I can't remember)
    >Trucks governed @69

Took my email to send me a link to the application. I sat on the application for a couple days deciding if I wanted to go in this direction and was not bombed with with all kinds of crap during that time and never asked me for my phone number, simply said thanks for your interest in Bulkmatic, if there is anything else I can answer for you please email or call me at the direct number listed in the email.

Filled out the application, didn't seem to be anything out of the ordinary, and sent it in. Heard back from a lady within a day asking for tax return information to verify work history going back to 2013 and also verification of passing CDL school. I called and told her I wouldn't be able to get some of the information for a few days and she was very understanding about it, just asked me to send it when I had it and to let her know if I wouldn't be able to get it to her by the day I told her I would and lined me up for an interview/test drive for later in the week.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Shock Therapy

Shock Therapy Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2016
    n.cntrl il
  4. Blackshack46

Blackshack46 Road Train Member

Where are you applying out of?

5. Vic Firth

Vic Firth Road Train Member

Jan 19, 2016
    Indiana
  6. Radman

Radman Road Train Member

Apr 18, 2011
    Bulkmatic is a good company. My buddy worked there and loved it. Very laid back. He was making 70k+ Only problem is they closed shop here in Denver cause of W.W. Transportation dominance. Just make sure your in decent size terminal. Denver was just a couple of trucks and a shop. But he got his tanker experience from this. Now he’s fracing in the oilfields making good money driving a big ole Peterbilt.

Suspect Zero and Shock Therapy Thank this.
  7. motocross25

motocross25 Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
  8. Suspect Zero

Oct 10, 2016
    Burbank, IL
    I have to go to Griffith, Indiana for interview/road test. Not sure where my final landing spot will be if I make it in, I have a couple choices.

9. Steelersjunkie

Steelersjunkie Road Train Member

May 26, 2016
  10. Suspect Zero

Oct 10, 2016
    Burbank, IL
  11. Farmer54

Farmer54 Heavy Load Member

May 23, 2012
    West Bend, WI USA
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.