Bulkmatic, as it happens...

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by Suspect Zero, Apr 24, 2018.

1. Suspect Zero

Suspect Zero Road Train Member

Oct 10, 2016
    Burbank, IL
    So I'm sitting at the Peterbilt dealership in Pikeville Thursday while the mother ship was figuring out the best way to get me back home, and the driver's area is right outside the office of one of the salesmen.

I can overhear his calls and one of them is with someone who wants to purchase a tractor. I hear the salesman's side only, but he says the sale was approved, $85,000 purchase price with his current Peterbilt and his Mac trailer as collateral, zero down @13.9% interest.

I've only ever been a company driver, so I don't jack about the financing ins and outs of things, but holy ####, 13.9% interest?? Is it so high because he is zero down or am I just so far removed that I don't know what an average interest rate is? To me, that sounds like highway robbery.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. wtlong88

wtlong88 Bobtail Member

Jan 23, 2013
    Just finished reading this thread from beginning to end thanks for sharing.

I'm supposed to go for an interview at the Winston Salem,nc terminal. I've never done this kind of work but I've got 9 years of driving experience still a little nervous.

Glad to see a normal review, most of the ones I find people talk like it's the worst company in the world then I see a couple that make it sound decent. I guess we'll see...

4. Suspect Zero

Oct 10, 2016
    Burbank, IL
    Hope things go well for ya at the interview.

I wouldn't worry to much about the pneumatic part, if I can learn it, anybody can. I have no clue what they normally haul in that area, the best thing I can say is if you decide to go that way take lots of notes during training. There's always a learning curve once you strike out on your own, especially the first 3-4 months but the notes i took came in very handy may times in the beginning. I still carry the notebook with me just in case.

If you have questions feel free to ask, I'll answer what I can.

5. wtlong88

wtlong88 Bobtail Member

Jan 23, 2013
    I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions here soon.
    Hopefully the work stays pretty consistent.
    I'll keep you updated

6. Suspect Zero

Oct 10, 2016
    Burbank, IL
    Back at place where the temp truck I was had the electrical fire under the hood last week.

Low and behold they don't have enough room in the silo to unload at the moment, need to wait an hour and a half and see where everything is at.

I think they are just scared I will try and burn the joint down again. :eek:

Last edited: Jun 24, 2022
  7. Suspect Zero

Oct 10, 2016
    Burbank, IL
    Can someone tell me what causes this wear pattern? I see this fairly regularly but haven't been able to figure out the cause.

20220623_070016.jpg

8. wtlong88

wtlong88 Bobtail Member

Jan 23, 2013
    Passed the road test and all that just waiting on drug screen, gonna set up a start date Monday.

Everybody that was there seems to like it two drivers I spoke to had been there about 20 years. One said it was kind of slow right now hopefully even with it being slow I can still make decent.
    Seems I'll mainly be doing flour loads and stuff like that in the beginning. They do haul the lead hazmat loads that you don't actually need hazmat for that you mentioned but I won't be doing that for a little while.

9. Suspect Zero

Oct 10, 2016
    Burbank, IL
    Welcome aboard. It's all down hill from here :D

10. Suspect Zero

Oct 10, 2016
    Burbank, IL
    Here's one that has me minorly POed. Delivered a load last week, as it turns out part of their facility was down, but the person in charge of bulk unloading didn't know, so I was okayed to unload, hooked up, started, and 20 minutes later had to stop because there was no room in the silo. Long story short, I ended up dragging the rest of the load back to the shipper. No big deal, if I am told it's okay to unload I get paid to unload no matter if they take it all or not.

Looking over my weekly settlement yesterday and I notice there is no unloading pay for that load. Mileage, detention, pick up is all there but no unloading. No big deal, I make a call to tell them and get it straightened out, get the call back...

As it turns out I did not get paid for unloading because according to the handy dandy system that is used, the unload was not completed, thus delivery was not made. When load has been redelivered then the system will pay me the unloading pay at the same time it pays whoever the other driver is that has/will redeliver it. Unless of course they just decide to top the trailer back off, assign it to a new BOL and send it on it's merry way to someplace else (or even the same place), then it will just disappear forever. So now I have to watch to see if I get paid for this or not then call again.

I guess maybe this is a first world problem to have. I have in the past had to call to say I was overpaid for things, but this is the first time I ever called to say I was shorted. Who the heck designs these programs that only consider something delivered if the entire trailer is unloaded?

I showed up, I was told to unload, I tried to unload, it wouldn't fit, I was told to bring the rest back, I brought the rest back, seems pretty simple.

11. wtlong88

wtlong88 Bobtail Member

Jan 23, 2013
    First week with a trainer really only working three days due to the holiday and my trainer doesn't have a load for tomorrow. Flying to Indiana for orientation this coming Monday.

First day was mainly paperwork, second day was a load of corn starch. Man I am beyond lost when it came to all that, so many hoses and steps in the process. Took forever plus we had to load off two different rail cars because there wasn't enough on the first one, I'm sure with time it'll get easier but I could see it turning into a mess when I'm starting out.

Today we did a load of plastic pellets compared to the corn starch this was a freaking breeze loading and unloading was pretty straight forward for this.

@Suspect Zero thanks for this thread so many things you mentioned I remember and it all seemed a little less alien to me. Still intimidating though

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.