Bunk heater issue

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Cascadia440, Nov 27, 2021.

1. Cascadia440

Cascadia440 Bobtail Member

Nov 27, 2021
    Last winter I have a problem with my bunk heater.When I turned it on before I sleep it was working normally but when I woke up I found it was just blowing cold air.So it coldnt work long hours.Last days it did not work at all, just blowing cold air.It was last days of winter and forgot to fix it and switched to AC. Two days ago I turned off my truck and truck heater and just tried to use bunk heater and I was surprised that it started to heat.But unfortunatelly it did not last long.It stopped to heat again.I need any advises about it.
    It is ThermoKing Tripac in 2017 Freightliner Cascadia Evolution

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. pete159

pete159 Light Load Member

Dec 6, 2008
    mississauga
    Bunk heaters are very annoying most likely you have the kind that makes that annoying knocking sound which is the fuel pump. If it does not make that annoying knocking sound and just blows cold air the fuel pump is not pumping fuel. I assume the whole unit has to be replaced I sometimes have the same problem. Try turning it on with your heat setting to low until it starts to turn on and make the knocking sound and then turn up the heat

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  4. jason6541

jason6541 Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    The bunk heaters are very good, problem is the require understanding and maintenance. They need to be run every month for at least 10 min to exercise them. They need to be shut down and allowed to shut down before turning ignition key. If heater in a fueling cycle
    And power cut abruptly it floods burner chamber short cycles warm up and cool down. Generally they need a fuel inlet screen at fuel pump yearly, glow pin kit
    Atomizer screen and a vent hole cleaned.
    Easy to do. My 1 heater lasted 12 years with just regular maintenance. Read the owner’s manual in the vehicles for a reason.

also don’t keep trying to start the heater without it going thru the shut down cycle completely. It logs false starts in the brain of the heater. After so many you need to clear with software

5. RustyRod

RustyRod Light Load Member

Feb 14, 2021
    Mine just started to do the same, 3rd night it wakes me up to my lovely frozen cab lol. Sounds like it can't fire up but I can hear the fuel pump clicking and even smell the fuel which is not a good thing. No fire, no heat. Time to replace it I guess.

6. 86scotty

86scotty Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
    Probably not, just time to repair. When you see the price of a replacement you might get on board with fixing it, which is all it needs. Needs the screen cleaned or the fuel pump replaced. There isn't that much to these things.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.