Burping a radiator, question

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by feldsforever, Jan 13, 2020.

1. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Leave the cap off. Raise the idle to 1000 or higher. Get the coolant close to temp. Top off. Put cap back on. Drive. Recheck when it cools back down.

This time of year 160 should be good without releasing pressure when you take the cap off.

Powder Joints Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. feldsforever

feldsforever Road Train Member

Nov 22, 2019
    Thank you everyone, I will work on this over the next couple days and report back any progress.
    Honestly I don't think it needs to be burped. But its a long storey. Will fill on the blanks as the week goes on.

4. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

feldsforever Thanks this.
  5. HoneyBadger67

HoneyBadger67 Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2018
    Savannah, TN
    I've always taken the top heater hose off when refilling a radiator from empty. Then all the air left in the engine is at the top of the head.

feldsforever and mtoo Thank this.
  6. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    I know this goes agin all protocol, but what about taking a small propane torch and warm the thermostat housing? That'll open 'er up.

7. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Take the cap off, plop down a 10 gallon or bigger container under the rad. Go get breakfast while she warms up.

Have gallons (Plural) of fresh fluid ready to add on as she approaches 180 or whatever you consider to be a working going down the road temperature. Since it is a function of how much pressure you can impose on the system it may not be very ... forthcoming with that hotwater.

At some point your big temperature check valves should open. Thats when you either puke out alot of fluid, add more until all the air bubbles have gone bye bye. I used to puke my old radiators all the time but it's been so long that I am not sure if you can get a computer truck to accept that the system has no pressure on it just yet because you left the cap off on purpose.

8. feldsforever

feldsforever Road Train Member

Nov 22, 2019
    Update:
    After months of my boss putting time and money into the cooling system. I believe at least for now. All of the leaks have been fixed.
    On the other hand. I Usally keep it on the cold full level. After cracking the lid each morning to vent it. I noticed the big hose on the passenger side is more often than not vacuumed in.
    In the morning, with a cold engine the level is between cold full and cold minimum. If I top it off, to where I normally keep it. Will it stop this. Or should I tell the boss. There is still something up? Question regarding the vaccumed line.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  9. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    it is sucking in the hose. the cooling system is not 100% full, there is that air bubble i told you about several postings ago. had there been 100% coolant, this just would not happen.

do as i suggested, drive the steers up on some wooden boards, to raise the front end a few inches. the air trapped inside will stay there, since the truck is on "level" ground. you need to raise the front end to allow the air bubble to get up to the top and get out.

also, look for bleeder valves on the top of the engine, like at or near the thermostat. follow all the coolant lines for bleeder screws.

some idea on what and where they may be located.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
  10. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Something just doesn't sound right. Like I say, in all my years, I don't ever remember having to bleed a system of air, unless something else is causing the air lock. Maybe a pin hole in a head gasket, forcing pressure into the system.

11. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Bad radiator cap, will cause the hose to collapse like that.

x1Heavy, feldsforever and Swine hauler Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.