Busted exceeding hours of service

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Kevin83165, Feb 28, 2017.

1. Kevin83165

Kevin83165 Light Load Member

Nov 24, 2011
    Herrin Illinois
    I went over my 11 hours yesterday by 20 minutes and was caught on my electronic logs by an Illinois State cop. I knew full well what I was doing, I just wanted to get to the next exit to take my 10 hour break. I took a stupid chance and got caught. During my level 3 my electronic logs also showed a gap last week that I had forgotten all about, the cop wanted a paper log for that small gap and I could not produce, so that resulted in another ticket. So now I have 2 logbook violations. I was placed out of service. (I was 2 miles from where I was going to take my 10).

I am sure I am going to get scorned by many here and I expect that. My company was pissed and wrote me up. And I am going to have to miss a day of work and drive 3 hours to my mandatory court date. Not to mention the fine I have to pay as well as the bad mark. Believe me, I am paying a hefty price for the risk.

Moving forward, I was really concerned at how much the fine was going to be. I called that county clerk today and they were pretty nice and surprisingly, he said logbook violations are only $160 each. So $320 is not the end of the world I expected it to be a lot worse.

My question is I told myself to just suck it up, pay it learn from it and put it behind me and never do it again. But it's not the money so much as it is the points that is harming my company. I'm looking for suggestions, should I fight this or is there some type of law firm I should handle that perhaps they could lesson the point damage?

None of the local attorneys called me back. I googled some of those trucker legal aid's but most of them are not getting very good reviews. I spoke with one, the truckers voice. They said for $350 and then another $49 membership fee billed monthly they will send an attorney in my place and I do not have to show up for court and that they would be 90% successful at getting my fine reduced or eliminated.

I have a friend that suggested I just fight it, that one of the tickets may get dropped. But if I fight it, will it piss them off and result in heftier fines?

Looking for some experience here to weigh in and offer me some suggestions. If I can lessen the point damage, that would be great.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Jazz1

Jazz1 Road Train Member

May 7, 2012
    Thunder Bay On
    I am not surprised so many refugees are coming to Canada. Mandatory court for a log book infraction! Reads like a excerpt from a beaten down trucker in some 3rd rate banana republic.

4. HalpinUout

HalpinUout Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2011
    Did you get pulled over on the road or did they pull you around back at a scale?

5. Kevin83165

Nov 24, 2011
    Herrin Illinois
    I got pulled onto an off ramp at dusk. I had saw the cop sitting in the median and thought nothing of it but he came out and followed me like a big fish

TallJoe and x1Heavy Thank this.
  6. Kenworth 4life

Kenworth 4life Medium Load Member

Feb 16, 2017
    Augusta, Maine
    So tell me, do you have a good reason for not pulling over an hour earlier?

MachoCyclone and G13Tomcat Thank this.
  7. Kevin83165

Nov 24, 2011
    Herrin Illinois
    I thought I could make it to the Casey Illinois exit. It was a tad farther than I thought

8. HalpinUout

Oct 2, 2011
    So no traffic infractions committed reason for the stop was just a random safety inspection?

Where was this in Illinois?

9. Kevin83165

Nov 24, 2011
    Herrin Illinois
    I left out that he said I was going 74 MPH when that is impossible. I think he clocked the car next to me and thought it was me. Or he was just looking for an excuse to give me a random inspection. It happened at Casey Illinois exit, just outside Terra Haute Indiana

TallJoe and HalpinUout Thank this.
  10. HalpinUout

Oct 2, 2011
    So did you get a citation for speeding also?

11. Kevin83165

Nov 24, 2011
    Herrin Illinois
    Nope. He wrote a warning on my DOT inspection for speeding, and handed me 2 actual tickets for logbook violations

HalpinUout Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.