Buy tires local

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Mattflat362, Mar 8, 2018.

1. Mattflat362

Mattflat362 Road Train Member

Feb 18, 2015
    Avon Lake, Ohio
    ...as close to home base as possible! And then drive them right away....and go back right away if something isn't right.

Friggin T/A in Brookville PA sold me a out of round tire.....so I had to roll with it until I passed them again 3 months later.....and I dang near rebuilt the entire truck thinking no way it could be a brand new tire!

Then of course they prove that the tire is bad, you buy a new one at full price, and wait for Yokohama to approve a refund which never happens which results in a BBB claim (they actually do a good job) followed by more promises of "we will inspect it soon".

Buy local from people with laser balancers/roundness checkers.

Paddlewagon, HopeOverMope and sealevel Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ibcalm19

ibcalm19 Road Train Member

Nov 30, 2015
    Pennsylvania
    I agree with you. I go a step further & deal with people who only deal with tires & alignment. I had the same issue with alignment issue. They didn't check the king pins until after they claim they aligned the truck. The cart before the horse routine. Especially when steer tires cost me close to $600 a piece

Mattflat362 and Justrucking2 Thank this.
  4. m16ty

m16ty Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2016
    There is a local place that will true up your tires. What they actually do is shave the tread until they are round. Last time I was there, I saw a guy that was getting his brand new tires trued up. There was a big pile of rubber under the machine that had been removed from the brand new tires. I got to talking to the owner of the truck and he said that he can get close to twice the mileage out of the tires by doing that. Don't know if he was telling the truth or not, but I'd have a hard time taking that much rubber off of a new tire.

Tug Toy and Brickwall Thank this.
  5. OLDSKOOLERnWV

OLDSKOOLERnWV Captain Redbeard

Nov 29, 2011
    West Virginia
    I buy my tires locally from S&S Tire, just off exit 11 on I-64 here in WV. About 6 miles from my place. Always been good about there service so far.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.