Buying a box truck

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by techie06, Sep 25, 2017.

1. techie06

techie06 Bobtail Member

Sep 25, 2017
    Hello,

I work for a non-profit theater that is looking to purchase a box truck to move equipment around to our shop and theater. I need some help determining which type to get.

Our parameters are:
    -needs to be dock height (48"-52")
    -16'-18' box
    -no CDL required

The Isuzu FTR seems to fit our bill, but I'd like to know of any other makes and models that fit our requirements. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. lovesthedrive

lovesthedrive R.I.P.

Nov 11, 2008
    Sorrento Maine
    I believe the weight limit si 20,000 pounds. Might be 27,000. I dont remember. Yet there is a limit that a person with a automobile license may be able to drive with out penalty.

JayBibb Thanks this.
  4. Hawkeye212

Hawkeye212 Light Load Member

Jul 22, 2017
    Anything rated under 26,000 pounds.

I did deliveries for a big box stores years before deciding to go over the road. Didn't need a commercial license since it was under 26k pounds and no air breaks (another thing to look at not having). Got pulled over for speeding a little. At first he was going to just give me a ticket for no commercial license. I should have just taken that ticket and fought it in court (which I would have won). He must have called his boss after arguing with him cause he later let me off of that but gave me a ticket for speeding.
    Isuzu are good (drove ones with air breaks for another company) but like any vehicle, can have it's bad apples.
    GMC has some good models too.
    If looking at cheap used trucks, maybe check out old U-Haul or Penske companies that have trucks for sale.
    But look for anything under 26,000 pounds with no air breaks.

lovesthedrive Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.