Buying a ex tanker truck

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Voltrucker, Feb 12, 2015.

1. Voltrucker

Voltrucker Medium Load Member

Sep 24, 2012
    West TN
    Hey all, I've recently came across a 07 T600 locally and it's a very sharp truck. I like it and I plan on going to look at it Saturday depending on if the guy has to leave early for his next run. He pulls tankers with it. My buddy which is a ex tank yanker told me that tankers wear out a truck? Like wearing the 5th wheel out, moving other parts? He's been known to be a little rusty when it comes to mechanics so I decided to come here. This is the 1st time I've heard of this. Thoughts?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. JRTBud87

JRTBud87 Light Load Member

Apr 11, 2009
    Scio, Oregon
    I have been doing food grade tank for almost eight years. Yes, in my opinion a smooth bore tank will do more damage on a truck than one that is pulling a van, flat, etc. For example, as I type this, my truck is in the shop for a cracked frame bracket. Truck is only one year old so warranty covers it, but there can be a serious amount of force on the frame and 5th wheel from a tank.

4. DrtyDiesel

DrtyDiesel Road Train Member

Feb 14, 2010
    Jacksonville, FL
    Was it used for fuel hauling, food grade, chemicals?

Did it or does it have a pump (PTO powered)? If it has or had a pump it will have a lot of hours on the engine from running the engine to power the pump when pumping chemicals or fuel.

Our trucks wear out pretty bad. A LOT of turning, usually we have to replace the fifth wheel on each truck at least once.

Also there's always a lot of stress on the brakes and axles from city driving and tight turns. We do a lot of u turns and tight turns in stores.

Maverick519 Thanks this.
  5. bubbanbrenda

bubbanbrenda Road Train Member

Feb 27, 2011
    Middletown,Oh.
    I've been tankin' for 30 years smooth bore tanks kill 5th wheels and every bushing on the truck, fuel trucks aren't quite as bad, if it ever had a pump or compressor it will have a ton of idle time. Tank trucks are the only trucks abused more than dump trucks. Just my $0.02...

DrtyDiesel Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.