Buying a Fleet truck from mega carrier

Discussion in 'Trucker Taxes and Truck Financing' started by SmoothtruckerArt, Jun 30, 2017.

1. Justrucking2

Justrucking2 Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    I can never get past the 70,000 mile oil changes. I know most of you here believe that is now a good thing... And then the emissions, they have bankrupted more than a few one truck owner operators. I know I would have if I had not paid cash for the truck. What saved my bacon was hitting the books on these emission systems. Learn all you can if you buy one of these trucks, you will then know more than the dealer.

I would also suggest having tools on hand to do things like an overhead and electrical work, along with general maintenance that all new trucks require, like changing out sensors and such. If you can get your hands on the software needed to diagnose your engine, that alone will save you thousands of dollars a year.

Another thing, I needed a new CAC, easy job, 2 hrs at the dealer. The dealer is booked out right now 5 weeks. I bought the CAC and replaced myself. Electrical issues with a bad circuit board, I had to track that down as again, the dealer is out 5 weeks. Followed schematics I downloaded from the internet, CANBUS system, I chased the wires and figured it out. I then bought the new part and installed myself. Entire laundry list, doing overhead today, in my driveway. If you are depending on the dealership to keep you running, you are a fool. Especially if you have a truck payment and bills. ;-)

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. RStewart

RStewart Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2015
    Norman, OK
    I don't do 70k mile oil changes & my truck had them done at 50k (Detroit recommendation) for most of it's life. I do them at 30k & my oil analysis is really good.

The emissions on the Detroit don't scare me depending on the year of the truck. I have a 2011 pre-def truck. I would not buy a 2011 work def or a 2012 truck. Basically for me it was 2011 without def or 2013 & newer. I replaced my DPF 2 months after I bought the truck so that's behind me now.

I agree about relying on a dealer. I use my Freightliner dealer for parts because they are very competitive on price but I do all my work myself. Occasionally I might have to have someone else do the work & then I take it to a small privately owned shop.

Justrucking2 Thanks this.
  4. Justrucking2

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    Problem with the new oils and the extended drains you lose the additive package.

RStewart Thanks this.
  5. RStewart

RStewart Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2015
    Norman, OK
    You don't lose all the additives but that's because it will clog the emissions. If a guy is worried about the additives then just add one gallon of gear oil to the motor oil & you'll get enough additives without doing any harm.

Jazzy_J and cjb logistics Thank this.
  6. Justrucking2

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    Yep, I do, one gallon of Sta-Lube GL4 in the summer, 1/2 gallon in the winter. Newer high compression motors use a GL-5 to help with the soot issue. ;-)

RStewart Thanks this.
  7. redoctober83

redoctober83 Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2013
    Seattle, wa
    What truck do you have? What tools do I need to do my own overhead? How did yours go?

8. cjb logistics

cjb logistics Heavy Load Member

Aug 13, 2016
    Liberal Ks
    Man go to rawze.com those guys have all the info you need. Sign up, best move you will make.

9. johnnyman1099

johnnyman1099 Medium Load Member

Mar 13, 2017
    I was stupid enough to buy the ex Schneider 2011 Cascadia with DEF and that was a big no no...i should of gotten the newer 2013 and paid more since 2011 was the first year DEF was introduced and there were many unresolve issues. Most of the original parts for the 2011 model have been redesign and replace with a new part number.

From day one, i had nothing but issues with the DEF system. The main problem was that the truck sat for 8 months through the summer and winter at the Schneider yard in Carlisle, PA. When I got the truck, the Urea and water in the DEF tank separated and had chunks at the bottom of the tank and almost pure water on the top half of the DEF tank. My mechanic thought they fillup the DEF tank with water.

10. daf105paccar

daf105paccar Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2012
    Water will mess up DEF.

But what did you replace allready and was it with the redesigned parts?

11. johnnyman1099

johnnyman1099 Medium Load Member

Mar 13, 2017
    DEF has roughtly 70% to 80% water mixed with Urea. The problem is when the DEF fluid sits in the tank and exposed to ice cold winter months and hot summer months, the solution goes bad and have separation.

I have the shop flushed out the entire DEF system, clean and replaced DEF injector, pump, tank, NOX sensors, wire hareness, and a lot of the crap in The One Box. Each fix last a week or two before the next shows up. It has been 2 months since my last emission lamp light lit up on the dash. I hope it last.

As to the parts, most of my original part numbers are discontinued and it takes the Freightliner parts person a long time to cross reference to the newer part which looks a little different. I have no idea if the new parts are better than the original.

Oh, i did have the shop to inspect my DPF filter and it is clean and in good shape so didnt have to clean it.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.