Buying a new truck with a trade in

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by REEFERman450, Dec 14, 2019.

1. Brandonpdx

Brandonpdx Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2007
    Elkhart, IN
    I agree, trading in and starting the debt clock all over again ain’t a good idea. Big downturn coming and you don’t want to be on the endless payments program. Put money away for the inevitable repair bills and just keep your fingers crossed it holds together.

Swine hauler, Ridlingdj and TheLoadOut Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    If he had a Cummins they would tell him the same thing. That the Cummins made it less desirable. Anything to knock down your trad-in value.

4. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    Every body has different business models and plans, some trade when warranty is going to run out and do well, others like me keep one 20 or more years. There is no one size fits all in this business.
    I would think if running a team hard, new is the way to go and keep it in warranty. I would not want an emission truck that was out of warranty at all myself.

REEFERman450 Thanks this.
  5. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    You never know. Vehicle sales are subject to a lot of different things. Mainly supply and demand, obviously. I agree with the tactic of making the best deal on a New one. Then throw in the obstacle of your trade in. That’s the only way to get real #s, and know how much they’re really giving you for your trade in.It makes their Job harder. It depends on how bad they want to sell the new one.Never know, they may have buyers looking for Trucks like yours. They can give you $50k, easy, and charge you $185k for a new one. Instead of $165k, market value.In that case, you really only got $30k for yours.You need to know real #s, not just what’s on paper. Then decide.

Swine hauler and REEFERman450 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.