Buying a used semi truck out of state?

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by speedstickman, May 16, 2024.

1. speedstickman

speedstickman Light Load Member

Jul 10, 2012
    Hi, I'm considering buying a used truck out of state over truckpaper.com

I've only bought from a dealership and directly from an individual, not familiar with buying online/out of state.

What are some things I should consider ? and what does the process look like? any tax implications? and what is the process of picking up/driving the truck back to my home state?

Thank you!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Concorde

Concorde Road Train Member

Jun 29, 2016
    West Melbourne Florida
    Would help if you gave your home state and the sellers state. If you live in Florida I can share all the craziness you will be put through.

It’s not really buying online if you intend to go look at the truck first and deal with the seller directly.

I sold a truck through truck paper and it was quite painless. Buyer showed up, wanted the truck and two + weeks later he drove it away after getting his loan finalized.

4. buzzarddriver

buzzarddriver Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    Really surprised there is no "Truckvana". Buy it online and it is delivered to your front door.

wifi_guru and Concorde Thank this.
  5. speedstickman

Jul 10, 2012
    I'm in CA, not sure exactly which state I'll be buying from yet but Im looking at some in IA and TX

I guess I just need to know what I need to be able to drive the truck off back to CA, legal requirements, insurance, tags, etc

6. wifi_guru

wifi_guru Medium Load Member

Feb 22, 2024
    They should give you temporary tags and sell you physical damage ins so you can get it back to CA. You will have to give greaseball taxes once you register it.

7. OldeSkool

OldeSkool Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2018
    New Hampshire
    I’ve done it. You have 30 days to register after buying, (at least in my state it was 30 some may be longer or shorter,) so all you need to do is contact your insurance if you do indeed buy it and give them the VIN to add it on.

I went to get one truck and had a cashiers check from the bank in my glove box. Decided I didn’t want it. No problem, took the check back to the bank and canceled the loan.

wifi_guru Thanks this.
  8. speedstickman

Jul 10, 2012
    Appreciate the feedback, what do you mean by greaseball taxes?

9. Sons Hero

Sons Hero Road Train Member

Jan 8, 2021
    Indiana
    If it’s a private seller, you can get trip permits for the states you will drive through to get it home. They are pretty cheap. Just need to tell them it’s a bobtail and what route you are traveling, should have your permits within several minutes! Jet permit service is who I have used before.

Bean Jr. and wifi_guru Thank this.
  10. BoostedTeg

BoostedTeg Road Train Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Boise ID
    Like stated above you will need insurance, trip permits, some states require you get a fuel permit like Washington state for example. And the title with bill of sale showing that it was sold to you.

wifi_guru Thanks this.
  11. wifi_guru

wifi_guru Medium Load Member

Feb 22, 2024
    Gavin newsome

Bean Jr. and Northern Nomad Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.