Buying first truck. Thinking Pete 379

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by naval_superman, Mar 1, 2017.

1. naval_superman

naval_superman Bobtail Member

May 24, 2016
    I've been doing a lease to get the feel for O/O and so far I love it, other than the high lease payments. I'm looking at a used 379 and most of them are around 40k and have C15s in them with over a million miles. I called my local CAT shop and they said they do overhauls for about 21-27k with a 4 year warrenty. This is my first "purchase" so I was wanting to pick some of your guys' brains on this plan.

I have no house payment, no kids or wife, live on the road and have decent credit so I think my financial situation is really good.

Are the C15s a good reliable engine? And do you think this is a decent idea to get started? Thanks guys.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Bro_Dave

Bro_Dave Medium Load Member

Nov 5, 2013
    That 379 will cost you $5000 more per year than an aerodynamic Truck. Something to consider.

#1don and Shock Therapy Thank this.
  4. naval_superman

naval_superman Bobtail Member

May 24, 2016
    I have considered this and am ok with it. The truck I have right now averages about 5.4 with a 40,000 lbs load. If it's close to that or better then that's ok with me

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  5. PolishPrince

PolishPrince Light Load Member

Jan 11, 2017
    Chicago
    better with a 579 and get better full economy... the truck pays for itself in the long run when compared to a gas guzzler... unless "looking cool" is more important...

6. PolishPrince

Jan 11, 2017
    Chicago
    think like a business owner... but not everyone can...

DRAGON64 and Dirtymartini15x Thank this.
  7. PolishPrince

Jan 11, 2017
    Chicago
    579 are capable of 8mpg fully loaded... geared right... 2-3 mpg better... every mile...every gallon... counts

DRAGON64, 207nomad and 6rider Thank this.
  8. jlafume

jlafume Light Load Member

Jan 6, 2011
    Victorville,Ca
    379 is a lot easier to work on so I think 5000 is convience fee

9. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Wait til you have to change a transmission in one of those aero jobs.. with a hood it's a 6 hour job, I know in the Volvo it's a 40 hour job because they have to actually take out the motor... how much did you save in fuel again?

Plastic truck will be a bit better on fuel. How much does a plastic truck with same specs as million mile 379 sell for? Same token, if you buy this 379 and want out of it for any reason, it is a lot easier to sell, and won't lose its value as fast.

I say go for it. Fuel is only one part of the equation. You sound like you are in good financial shape and also don't have a drain or 3 robbing you of your money.

10. PolishPrince

Jan 11, 2017
    Chicago
    579 is just as easy to work on with almost 50% better fuel economy... your point is mute...

Night_driver Thanks this.
  11. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    I refuse to believe 579 beats 379/389 by 50%. With the same load on the same terrain and same drive line it might get 1 mpg better. Big deal. You just go ahead and keep collecting your pennies per mile. All the same to me

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.