Buying my first truck, need help choosing 1of these 3 trucks

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by AtomicSpud, Apr 3, 2024.

1. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. AtomicSpud

AtomicSpud Bobtail Member

May 18, 2012
    Never mind I missed the post about the 3.08 ratio.

4. Cdemars316

Cdemars316 Medium Load Member

Nov 10, 2018
    Completely disagree with the assessment that low gear ratios can't pull hills, I have 2.74's with an 18 speed went from 3.55 and a 15 speed and the 2.74's even with the 15 speed did a better job on hills than the 3.55's, hills that I used to climb at 28-35mph, were more like 40-48 mph (and that was with same 15 speed before I switched transmissions), your in the same gear as you were before going up but you pick up speed because your gear ratio is different in your rear ends. The only difference and draw back to the lower gears is getting that pig moving, once you get it rolling the lower gears drive better imho, you just need to get used to not using overdrive unless you are light or right at highway cruising speed, if you are doing something where you are going over 80,000 lbs regularly and getting into soft ground when you are loaded, I would stay away from anything lower than 3.08 I still have pulled end dump with mine and went in and out of gravel pits after the gear change but I need to be really careful taking off and am always in my low gear taking off when under a load, even a lighter load no matter what. I stay away from any off road type stuff for multiple reasons, but the gears are one of the reasons, the other is I don't like tearing up my truck for no reason

5. little cat 500

little cat 500 Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2010
    Abbottstown PA
    wouldn't buy a isx will bank rup you.

6. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    Is that because of the emission engine ? All late model truck are equipped with an emissions engine. If maintained well, they’re fine. After certain mileage, parts need replacing and that’s not cheap.

Sons Hero Thanks this.
  7. Truck down

Truck down Bobtail Member

May 5, 2024
    If I was you, I would get the blue Freightliner Cascadia, but test drive the truck because you don't know what it will do until you have a load on your back, it's not a PETE, it's a Freightliner; it will get you from point A to B... I would get it before any other truck, but PETE's are responsible as far as power but dependable, accountable; Freightliner with little minor repairs will get you from point A to B with money in your account. Please stay up with the pre-trips

Have a blessed day

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.