Buying snow chains

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by gekko1323, Oct 2, 2022.

1. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    I ordered them from quality chain corp. They seemed to have increased in price since i bought them 2 years ago... i ordered 4 singles and 2 - 3railers to experiment with... i believe the singles were like $120 a piece and the 3railers $220 or so .. they are much much more expensive now, i guess just like everything else. it may just be more economical to just buy regular chains at this point. i didnt realize they were so expensive now. but that is your decision...

in my experiments what I found is that cables dont have as much grip as regular chains (obviously) BUT they are light as a feather so dont have to fight the weight of the metal to get them in the correct place to hook them together... but that is also a flaw as well... because they are so light, you have to reverse your truck to get them to stay on the tire, to get the bottom part of the chain around the bottom of the tire... because if you try to drive forward, they just fall off the tire and u have to start all over, if that makes any sense...

now with the 3railer type of cables, i found them to be a complete pain in the ### to mess with and gave them to a buddy of mine who traded me some 3railer chains because he was getting older and tired of throwing them around.... he is still using them 2 years later with close to 100+ uses out of them with very little maintenance... the only thing that can be replaced is the connecting hardware, so i guess that can be seen as a downside because if you break a link, then you have to buy a whole new cable rather than just replace the link like you would do on a regular set of chains....

in my experiments i was running northwest montana and idaho , 2 lane highways, interstates, donkey trails, off road to jobsites, and they held up thru all of that, but didnt nearly have the grip that regular chains do. that is a huge downside, but i had the luxury of carrying regular chains where i knew if it was gonna be to icy for my cables i could throw a regular set on and be fine.... but never needed to when on the interestate or us bigger named highways.. only when i got off the beaten path..... i would recommend using bungees on the cables just like you would a set of chains, because these cables dont come with a cam lock system... it just has hardware that hooks together, and overtime the cable gets stretched out and they dont fit tight anymore.. but a bungee keeps it nice and tight .. quick and easy fix...

so with all that said, these are the ones i purchased and put thru the works to find their limits and i would buy them again... well maybe not at that price. like i said maybe regular chains are more value for the money at these current prices..kinda crazy they want that much

single cables- 2316 - Truck Cobra Cable | Quality Chain Corp

Triples - 4343 - Truck King Cobra Alloy Rollers Cable Chain w/ Cam - Dual/Triple | Quality Chain Corp

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    24.5 chains on a 22.5 tire. Sometimes ya gotta make do 20220207_115304.jpg

4. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    Sometimes you don't have to buy chains at all. Sometimes you can find them laying in the chain-off area abandoned by the driver. Over the years I've picked up quite a few chains that way and some of my drivers have found several.
    Somebody unchained and swore to God he was never going to chain again and just left them where they fell.
    As a rule they're fairly new, maybe with a couple of cross links busted but plenty good for spare parts or an extra truck chain or two.
    Also keep your eyes out for gloves, hats, chain tightener handles, and rubber snubbers.

5. kranky1

kranky1 Road Train Member

Sep 16, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    A lot just fly off on the road. Installation problems I guess. On a bad night you could pick a full set up off the ground just in Albert Canyon. I made the mistake of pulling out the chain pliers in a chain up once. Made a couple hundred bucks, but I was there almost 2 hours piecing chains back together for people. Seems a lot of those chain racks on chillys only have scrap weight hanging off them. Tore up clevis’, parted rails, missing crossers. Saw it all that night. What’s the point of hanging them on the truck if you can’t use them?

6. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    It's getting to be the time of the year when we get the "chain up or don't chain up" posts. Our company chains up, mostly because our competitors chain up and if we didn't chain we wouldn't be working. Our drivers are fine with this and if one of them calls in and says it's just too bad to run, even with chains, we take him at his word. They're mostly old timers and their judgement is usually good.
    That being said, if a driver for some other company doesn't want to chain or if their company forbids it I'm fine with that too. I'd rather see those guys sitting someplace safe than take a chance doing something they're not experienced enough or comfortable enough to do.
    Besides which, that lessens the amount of traffic and lessens the amount of risk.

7. kranky1

kranky1 Road Train Member

Sep 16, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    My guys are the same, they’re all mountain drivers though. If they have hours and the road is open they’re generally moving. They’ve got grey hair judgement though, too much of the wrong traffic or up against the book they’ll sit it out. Things the way they are today some operations are probably better off to park them. Not everyone deals with mountain conditions on the regular, and steep and covered in snow can get real expensive fast.

8. Accidental Trucker

Accidental Trucker Road Train Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Agreed, some outfits aren't set up for mountain driving, wrong tires, no experience, or no hurry. If you don't have to, better to park. For some weird reason, I particularly LOVED driving in the snow, most especially rural two lane passes in the West. So peaceful, just a soft jingle from the chains, hardly any traffic at all. Even better if I was making the first tracks in the snow.

Ice? Yeah, screw driving on ice.

Oxbow, Long FLD and gekko1323 Thank this.
  9. InTooDeep

InTooDeep Donner party survivor

Jan 17, 2016
    Carmichael CA
    I mentioned it before this my first winter in years that I wont be chaining at all. You would think I wouldn't miss it. Wrong I am going to miss it. I like the views when the snow flies it makes everything look better

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.