Buying Truck out of state- Elog needed?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by firecatf7333, Sep 17, 2018.

1. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Paper logs, no on the load.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. RaRa

RaRa Light Load Member

Jan 17, 2018
    you dont have to print the logs off for the DOT.

4. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    If they ask you do. Otherwise the officer can treat it as not having logs at all.

Question 28: May a driver use a computer, tablet, or smartphone (that is not an Automatic On-Board Recording Device) to create, electronically sign, and store the record of duty status (RODS)?

Guidance:

Yes. A driver may make manual duty-status entries to a computer, tablet, or smartphone program that is used to generate the graph grid and entries for the record of duty status (RODS) or log book, provided the electronically-generated display (if any) and output includes the minimum information required by §395.8 and is formatted in accordance with that section. The driver must sign the RODS (manually or electronically) at the end of each 24-hour period to certify that all required entries are true and correct.

If electronic signatures are not used:

The driver must print and manually sign the RODS daily.

The driver must have in his or her possession the printed and signed RODS for the prior seven consecutive days (if required on those days).
    The driver should be given an opportunity to print and manually sign the current day’s RODS at the time of the inspection.

If RODS have been electronically signed:

At the time of an inspection of records by an enforcement official, the driver may display the current and prior seven days RODS to the official on the device’s screen.
    If the enforcement official requests printed copies of the RODS, the driver must be given an opportunity to print the current and prior seven days RODS (if required on those days) at the time of inspection.

5. RaRa

RaRa Light Load Member

Jan 17, 2018
    I thought it was to e logs.

6. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    It's not. There are four different ways to record time.
    1. Paper - Not changed since logging started.

2. AOBR/EOBR - Automatic (Electronic) On Board Recorder - First regulated electronic logs, still grandfathered until December 2019 - Connect to truck's ECM for information.
    Data can be viewed on screen or faxed to officer on request. Printing is not required.

3. ELD - Electronic Logging Device - Current law for electronic logging. Connected to ECM and has specific requirements for data recorded.
    There is a whole list of data viewing options. A specific "inspection mode" on screen, e-mail, USB, Wireless Web services, Bluetooth. Printing is not required if there is an on-screen display.

4. Electronic Log - This is the apps like KeepTrucking. As they don't connect to the ECM they are seen as paper logs as they don't really have any regs specifically for them.
    Data viewing is screen, or paper if requested.

5. (I know I said 4, but...) Timecard. This is actually a negative logging in the fact one simply has to "punch in/out" at the terminal. No paperwork is required and as such nothing to show to the LEO.

brian991219 Thanks this.
  7. RaRa

RaRa Light Load Member

Jan 17, 2018
    I thought y'all was talking about elogs. Keep trucking does have an app that connects to the ecm. My job now uses it. That's what confused me at first. Not disputing anything you are saying.

ZVar Thanks this.
  8. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Yea I knew that. There are several very portable eld's out there like KeepTrucking's. Since the app was all that was mentioned in post I replied to, that's all I was focusing on. But yes, he can also get a portable ELD like KeepTrucking, or Rand's or several others.

9. TruckRunner

TruckRunner Heavy Load Member

Dec 21, 2017
    Just confirming this info is still true? So you just leave BOL and other info empty if bobtailing new truck home which is eight hours away?

10. brian991219

brian991219 Road Train Member

Aug 10, 2013
    Lords Valley, PA
    On a paper log while driving a new to you truck home, put the carrier name as shipper and vehicle as commodity and use the VIN or at least last 6-8 digits of it as truck number on log.

If doing driveaway for anyone other than yourself then you put the BOL number in the commodity box and create a BOL. Either way, carry paperwork from the seller and that will act as a BOL should you get inspected.

TruckRunner Thanks this.
  11. brian991219

brian991219 Road Train Member

Aug 10, 2013
    Lords Valley, PA
    Here is a sample paper log feom when I deliver trucks for our dealership. TMI would be replaced with your carrier, or your own name as shipper. The truck number us the last 8 of the VIN. Really simple. 15393509612551883204715665975010.jpg

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.