Buying used Walmart Fleet Truck

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Asphault-Highway, Nov 15, 2020.

1. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    What ever you do don’t do your due diligence on the truck, god only knows how bad it is to find out the truck needs an overhaul or had fueling problems that produces 40% of the rated power, just don’t do it.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. PureLeafTea

PureLeafTea Light Load Member

Mar 21, 2013
    If I had a 70k and wanted a new truck I would put 70k down on a 121k truck, finance the rest and have a full warranty for the entire time I owned it. Then in 3 years trade it in. Repeat. Financing on 51k is nothing.

Biggest mistakes drivers make are falling in love with their truck and keeping it forever.

4. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    I agree. you want 500 hp and a 13 speed minimal. It will outperform section speech talking about the bar. You will thank me later.

Brettj3876 Thanks this.
  5. Boardhauler

Boardhauler Road Train Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Ballin' in it for Shakey
    I bought a used Wal Mart truck, a 2008 Cascadia. It was very well speced and I really liked it. I would say it was better maintained than the used Schneider truck that I bought next, but not much better. All large fleets are managed by people who excel at controlling their costs. They spec their trucks to give them the lowest operating cost for their application and intensively manage their maintenance so as to not spend one penny more than they have to getting the truck through to the end of it's trade cycle.

I really liked that truck, it was set up almost perfectly for my application. I still threw money at it for a year to get all the deferred and/or then due maintenance caught up.

I was down to the overhead and a new DPF when a turban wearing moron driving an ancient FLD T-boned me driving down the freeway and totaled it. When he was interviewed at the hospital he denied that he was driving the truck that hit me. No name or CA number on his truck, no registration or proof of insurance in the cab. I walked up and down the freeway until the CHP made me stop and couldn't find a license plate. Insurance chaos followed, almost bankrupted me and totaled my marriage along with the truck.

There are many options when it comes to buying a truck. The correct decision for the OP cannot be determined by a bunch of people on the internet who don't know anything about the prospective buyer or his business.

Anyone who cannot determine what truck to buy for their specific situation and needs shouldn't buy a truck, period.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.