Bypass oil filter, fuel water seperator?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by DDlighttruck, Jul 21, 2017.

1. Superhauler

Superhauler TEACHER OF MEN

Jan 30, 2010
    keep stroking.
    All I run is two cat filters one on the engine and one on the frame. The frame mount does not have the pass valves affecting it like every engine uses. Microns don't mean nothing to me in that aspect. Every engine has bypass valves that work when first start cold until oil warms and thins out. With a second filter plumbed in oil rail it is always filtering a percentage of your oil. Any bypass filter only filters a certain percent of your oil.

bigguns and DDlighttruck Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Studebaker Hawk

Studebaker Hawk Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2010
    NW Indiana
    Most of the post 2008 engines with DPF/DEF systems already have a bypass filter on them, hence the extended oil change interval, 50,000 miles recommended by the various manufacturers. The EGR engines prior to that did not, and they were the ones with the soot problems.
    I am in the camp of oil is cheap. I do my own oil changes, analysis indicated 20 thousand miles in my service, buy the stuff by the barrel, and the side benefit is it forces me to crawl all over and under the tractor regularly, finding things to fix before a failure. That PM program has worked for me for 40+ years.

Big_D409 and DDlighttruck Thank this.
  4. shogun

shogun Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Doing a regen
    My 2013 Volvo had soot problems along with the 2014 volvos we have with soot loading on the rocker shafts and taking out cam lobes. Each person has their own preference on maintenance, but I'm wouldn't hesitate to spend $350 on the heavy duty filtration system my dad runs, especially if I could extend oil drain intervals to much longer than normal and have high efficiency filtering for two microns for up to 120k miles as oil samples show.

DDlighttruck Thanks this.
  5. DDlighttruck

DDlighttruck Road Train Member

Dec 12, 2015
    Interesting. From what I read on rawze.com the soot in the motor is what kills the cams. Among other things but it came down to keeping things soot free was the answer.

6. DDlighttruck

Dec 12, 2015
    That looks really easy, and cheap. I'll order a filter base and filter tomorrow. Thank you!

7. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    I think that soot ####s up more than just the cams. If someone gave you a used head with no manifolds on it I bet you'd have to take a good look to tell which ports were intake and which were exhaust. All that soot being sucked back into the engine I'd imagine shortens the life of the liners and pistons too.

Studebaker Hawk and DDlighttruck Thank this.
  8. KB3MMX

KB3MMX Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2014
    Orrstown, PA

Yes.... But it's because of what the soot actually does to the oil..... It thickens it to the point that flow dramatically decreases and the lack of lubrication kills everything..... Cams and turbos first...
    Biggest problem is running 15-40 and using extended intervals.
    ALL D13 motors have come with 10-30 for years from the factory but guys think changing to 15-40 is better... It's not!

My old 07' with D16 had bypass as well.... (The middle filter)
    Change it sooner and it'll keep filtering the soot... That helps too...

DDlighttruck Thanks this.
  9. DDlighttruck

Dec 12, 2015
    Like I say I'm not interested in extended intervals. Keep it fresh and keep it clean. Thanks for the feedback

wore out Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.