C-15 Cat Engine Problems.

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by dave_0755, Nov 4, 2010.

1. Steve62

Steve62 Light Load Member

Mar 5, 2015
    Northern BC
    I run a acert c15 as for rpm I would run her between 1300 to 1800 rpm if you are getting over 5.5 mpg you are doing well!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BoostedTeg

BoostedTeg Road Train Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Boise ID
    The fluttering and jerking is probably an injector going bad or is bad. I had the same problem on my 07

4. Truckers Report Jobs

5. BoostedTeg

BoostedTeg Road Train Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Boise ID
    I have an 07 T 2000 with acert motor pulling a reefer and keeping it around 65mph I'm only getting 5.2 to 5.8 mpg. When I bought the truck I had to put a new cac because old one had 2 holes in it. Anybody have any ideas why I'm getting bad mpgs?

6. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    Could be lots of things or not. The way you drive a CAT is the biggest factor. They are not as forgiving as other motors. It's actually work to drive one to where it will get good economy. Do you idle a lot? CAT's are thirsty muthers mine will drink over a gallon an hour at 1,000 rpms idle speed. Any sort of idling at all with kill your economy big time.

When was your air filter last changed? I toss mine every 50,000 miles and it still looks nice and clean most times. When were the valves last adjusted? I have that done every 100,000 miles. They tighten up over time and it will degrade fuel economy. How do your hump boots look? The clamps? Your fuel filter get changed often? My primary screen gets cleaned every 12,500 miles and the secondary gets tossed and replaced then as well. Do you have the factory mufflers? Get rid of those choke points and install some brand (there are several brands without baffles and one is as good as another) without baffles that is free flowing.

My fuel economy is consistent by doing these things I can average 6.0 without hardly trying and if I work at it I can #### near get 7 mpg out of it by slowing down and driving super easy.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2016
  7. RustyBolt

RustyBolt Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    Bement, IL
    Takes forever to get up to speed? Sounds like your engine is de-rated due to a problem. Check for codes and get them cleared. The Acert motor is a finicky contraption.

8. HCMIAMI

HCMIAMI Bobtail Member

Mar 23, 2016
    Hi, I hope that some one can help me. I have a freightliner classic xl with a 06 C15 twin turbo and some times when I start the engine after a few minutes it shut off by itself.

9. Superhauler

Superhauler TEACHER OF MEN

Jan 30, 2010
    keep stroking.
    Did you see what code flashes? Turn key on but do not start. Turn cruise off, hold resume/set switch until light starts to flash. Count how many times it flashes then it will pause for a second. Then it will flash again .That will show if you have an active code. Example- flashes 5 times then a short pause then flashes 5 times again. Code 55 which means no codes.

SAR Thanks this.
  10. asphaltcowboy1982

asphaltcowboy1982 Bobtail Member

Aug 1, 2014
    Canada
    Ihave a 2001 Pete 6nz25908 inframe done last year. I have one injector solenoid that has a five digit code and all the rest have four digit codes. I never noticed this until tonight when my mechanic did an overhead on it. I am currently running the 5232 trim codes talked about so much on here and I have a pdi 650 hp 2200ft-lbs program Ecm. Can anyone tell me anything about the five digit trim number on the solenoid?

11. Mike big red

Mike big red Bobtail Member

Jun 9, 2016
    If you are ever in Fl take it to TML in Ocala FL off of 75 exit 358. Great people an they know what they are doing. I have an 07 t600 with a c15 did a rebuild an a single turbo love it. I pull 77 mount airy every week with 44,500 lbs.

12. Mike big red

Mike big red Bobtail Member

Jun 9, 2016
    Or you can call them they will tell you what you need to do.

• Truckers Report Jobs