C-15 Cat Engine Problems.

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by dave_0755, Nov 4, 2010.

1. 1catman

1catman Bobtail Member

Jul 5, 2016

MSQUARED Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Two doggs

Two doggs Bobtail Member

Feb 7, 2017
    How do I ask a guest ion about my c-15 jakes & derate?

4. Truckers Report Jobs

5. Two doggs

Two doggs Bobtail Member

Feb 7, 2017
    Heck my question didn't come out right lol but got it figured out now lol

6. mitchlocke

mitchlocke Bobtail Member

Dec 4, 2016

7. cgilliland

cgilliland Medium Load Member

Mar 13, 2017
    i agree with your rpm range. mine is limited at 1650 RPM which is only 72 MPH and to me 1650 RPM seems highest youd want, so i wish I had taller gears 3:36 or even more

8. Jaymz812

Jaymz812 Bobtail Member

Mar 9, 2022
    I was having the same issues with temperature. I have a 03' MBN C-15 single turbo. I changed all the temperature sensors, radiator, water pump, oil cooler, thermostats, fan clutch, and after talking to a guy at KW in Casper Wyoming he told me to change the temperature sender unit and the alarm stat also changed the thermostats while I was in there. Problem solved. The sender was sending the wrong temperature. It was off by about 10° and the alarm would go off at 209° and the fan wouldn't come on until at least 215° but the temp was off and it wasn't actually overheating.

black_dog106 Thanks this.
  9. kranky1

kranky1 Road Train Member

Sep 16, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    Some of the gauges have been messed with. Two of my Acerts read 208 on the gauge when the fan comes on, same as the old engines, but the ecm trips the fan at 218.

10. Lonewolfstrokingkittycats

Lonewolfstrokingkittycats Bobtail Member

Sep 13, 2022
    No don’t trade your problem is the twin turbo set up!!! Take twins off and put a bergworner or a big dog bully dog turbo or a Pittsburgh power turbo or a switch blade turbo charger it’s super simple just needs ECU retuned for single turbo charger I took my ECU out overnighted to the Diesel doctor out of Mount Vernon Illinois he right’s his own programming getting all your parameters set just right for max HP & torque all while getting max fuel efficiency my 3406E and C15 both run with light load a little over 10Agal then 80,000 up to 125,000 I start sucking the fuel between
    41/2Agal TO just under 6 Agal at 80,000!!!!

If u don’t want to take twin turbo charges off or you do either way first thing I would do is a 148-150 or a 165 thermostat because let’s say u have a 185 190 or even 200 even if it’s a 185 some times by the time it kicks the thermostat it’s to late under load especially if it’s climbing hard heavy up steep grades!!!!

thin I would replace your torsion dampener to a Vibra tech Viscous field dampener u are sapost to replace your torsion dampener every 300,000To400,000 miles trust me on that part if not say goodbye to your crankshaft mine did for sure….

now u can go with a ####ty ### stock one from china that are just a rubber compound that never really works that good!!! Or learn from others mistake’s like mine and go either to Vibra tech website they’re out of upstate New York buffalo area or buy them off of Pittsburgh power website they take all vibration out of the bottom end of your block perfectly balancing your crankshaft!!!!

Last thing I would not trade caterpillar motor for a Cummins!!!! maybe if it was a N 14 red top with lower mileage but not in a Volvo…

only Volvo I would run is the big boy long nose big DD18!!! Just my couple of cents…. Most ISX Cummins well a lot of them anyway like to spin bearings right around the crank not to mention the ####ty ### EGR’s that clog up & or rob u of power!!! To each his own say no to twin charger single that ##### have good reliable 3 party set all of your perimeter because even brand new trucks coming from factory have ####ty ### parameters that rob you of horsepower and torque and fuel economy for the low temperature thermostat in that ##### you’ll be climbing the mountain and that fan won’t even have to ####ing kick on most importantly viscous filled Vibra tech torsion dampener you can replace it yourself it’s a big ####ing mess in the bottom of your block it takes all vibration and balances out your crank your money your truck I wish you the best good luck…

11. Lonewolfstrokingkittycats

Sep 13, 2022
    The Fan will engage at whatever the thermostat is a for instance I took out the 195 thermostat and put in a 175 mine don’t go above 200

12. Lonewolfstrokingkittycats

Sep 13, 2022
    I will note even after replacing thermostat ECU will need to be updated to Accommodate a lower temperature thermostat I put the lower temperature thermostat in there because I did not like running even close to 200° cool motors are like cool heads they always prevail….

13. Lonewolfstrokingkittycats

Sep 13, 2022

• Truckers Report Jobs