C-15 seems to have a miss and loss of power

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by rollin coal, Mar 27, 2018.

1. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    I'll know tomorrow. I asked but he said he didn't know off the top of his head. I'm sure they ordered a reman one though. That's fine with me. It's warrantied for a year. If it lasts that long it should be good for another few years anyway.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    Give or take around $600.00

lynchy Thanks this.
  4. rollin coal

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    Injector was $650. The final bill with 3 hrs labor was $1,120. But I also spent $630 for some nothing diagnostics so really this was a $1,750 injector. They said valve lash and injector height was all good so no need for any adjustment. That $1,100 in labor would have bought a few manuals and tools for sure. The spring was snapped in two. I can definitely tell the power and throttle response is much better but I want to load it up and see how it goes. I never really can tell when it's empty I don't why.

Big_D409, Ruthless, Oxbow and 5 others Thank this.
  5. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    Glad to hear you got it resolved.

Oxbow Thanks this.
  6. lester

lester Midwest's #1 Feed Hauler

Jan 2, 2012
    NW, Iowa
    Have you checked out adept ape on YouTube?

7. rollin coal

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    I've seen he has a lot of videos. I think it was his video that already saved me at least $500 in labor on new thermostats a few weeks ago, I was surprised that was very easy, but #### if I didn't burn that savings up quickly on this fiasco.

Oxbow and SAR Thank this.
  8. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    How’s your truck under load...?

9. 062

062 Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2013
    I'm wondering if the stumble/miss after shift is gone?
    I had a similar thing going on,turbo came apart last week. So far it's not showed up with new turbo.

10. rollin coal

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    The miss after the upshifts is all gone. Doesn't do that anymore. Like I said (and odd I thought especially now that we know the injector spring was broken) it would ONLY do that after a long pull up a grade loaded and when I crested the top of the hill getting more speed and upsplitting (13sp) into a higher gear it would miss for about a half second or less. 99% of the other driving time it never missed with that broken spring in there.

Power is much better. Fuel mileage is up. I still can't shake it that it doesn't seem 100% right though. I dunno what it is though, maybe nothing. Hell even with that injector having a broken spring it still outpulled most every other truck out here when loaded. #### yellow motors pull good even when they're off.

Honestly though this motor was never the same after it was inframed 5 years and about 250,000 miles ago. Before the inframe it never burned a drop of oil between 12,500 mile OCI's. Since the inframe it always burns 2 gallons between those 12,500 OCI's. I really hate that but they said it was in spec. Whatever the #### that means. A new motor should not burn oil, period.

I read on here quality control on a lot of CAT parts is sketchy and it's not unknown for the new pistons that come already inside the new liner packs, that the ring gaps aren't always properly spaced on those. Just an assumption on my part that this could be my oil consumption issue.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
    Ruthless, Big_D409, Oxbow and 4 others Thank this.
  11. mtoo

mtoo Road Train Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Retired on bended knee
    RC, we overhauled our engines just about the same time. I did mine up in Nashville, just like yours mine burned more oil after the inframe than before . It was the first time in my life that a Cat overhaul did this. I overhauled my B model twice, my C mechanical once and the 6NZ once. The 6NZ started using oil right out of the gate, but was within specs. The others would use a couple quarts in 10,000 miles. Spending money on a high dollar platinum rebuild and getting poor quality parts sucks.

Yellow paint ain't what it used to be. Maybe they have it taken care of by now. Just glad I no longer have to fork over $20,000+ to find out. A perk of retirement, good luck to you.

Ruthless, Big_D409, Oxbow and 2 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.