C-15 Surging

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by drewfarmsllc, Nov 22, 2016.

1. drewfarmsllc

drewfarmsllc Light Load Member

Oct 18, 2008
    South Carolina
    2006 Peterbilt C-15 acert Cat
    Did a complete serviced on the truck this past weekend. Blew out air filters,changed oil filter and oil and changed the clear filter and the cannister fuel filter. Monday when I left the yard when i got to 7th gear it started dying out then picking back up. I thought i had a little air in system from changing both fuel filters. It quit surging about a mile down the road. Got about a 100 miles away and it did it again. Got to my destination and let it idle the whole time with no problems. Tightened the fuel filter a little and thought that had it. Left to come back home and it does it again. Get home today and tightened up filters, then took them off and cleaned and finally went back and got 2 new ones and installed. Still does the same thing. No skip and idels fine but when you get about 30 mph it will die and then pick back up. When it dies its at about 1400 rpms. It will drop about 3 to 4 hundred then pick back up. When its doing good you can shift gears and it will slowly accerate but if you shift while its down on power it will cut off. It has done this twice and i have to use ether to crank. When i crack the cannister filter it has alot of pressure on it and the clear one has fuel showing in it.
    Any help?? gonna have a guy hook a pressure guage to pump tomorrow and see what it says

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. snowman_w900

snowman_w900 Road Train Member

Nov 25, 2010
    Did you use the hand primer pump on the secondary fuel filter base on the side of the engine?

Sometimes those go bad and let air into the system.

4. drewfarmsllc

Oct 18, 2008
    South Carolina
    We did not use it but have been told to check it for trash. We took it off and cleaned it even tho there was no evidence of trash and reinstalled.
    Thanks for the info

5. SAR

SAR Road Train Member

Nov 26, 2011
    ND
    Did your truck run fine before you serviced it? I'm thinking it is fuel related since you replaced the filters. I am not familiar with the clear filter one but is it possible you missed a o-ring somewhere or maybe doubled up on one to introduce air to the system to make it run erratic?

6. drewfarmsllc

Oct 18, 2008
    South Carolina
    yes. it was working fine until we serviced. We have checked and cleaned everything and replaced the filters and the problem is the same. We are going to check the fuel pump pressure this morning. Will post back and let ya know what it shows

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.