CalArk Transportation / Averitt Express

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by Flatbedder 1966, Dec 18, 2018.

1. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

Which companies pay OTR drivers detention BETWEEN loads?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tscottme

I gave you my insight about Averitt in the question you posted in the New Drivers section. I usually monitor New Drivers and Experienced Drivers section the most. I can answer specifics about Averitt from what I saw of the company from my Dedicated account. I do think it's to your benefit to read my answer over there. I'm happy to answer specific questions, but some of the decision about ANY company comes down to exactly where you live and exactly what work conditions any company assigns you to. Only you can weigh that. I NEVER worked OTR at Averitt. I searched for other driving positions within the company before I left. I left because I had seen and done EVERYTHING at my account to make my job better for me and I had to have a change. The company bent over backwards to try and find me another place in the company. It was just time for me to leave.

Texas_hwy_287 and Flatbedder 1966 Thank this.
  4. tscottme

Some big customer contracts tell the trucking company we will not pay any detention pay. Trucking companies typically will not pay a driver detention pay out of their own pocket if the customer will not pay the trucking company. Almost every trucking company that pays detention actually means "if the customer pays us for detention, we will pay the driver for detention." You can always choose an hourly CDL job, but those have their own challenges.

Texas_hwy_287 and Flatbedder 1966 Thank this.
  5. JBsFuture

JBsFuture Bobtail Member

Apr 15, 2016
    Averitt is a good company for about 3 to 6 months, or at least until your tractor begins having mechanical problems and failures.
    This is a widespread issue for all their new drivers. It will start off well, then your weekly miles will decrease significantly, and then your tractor will most likely break down.
    When you start with Averitt, be sure to sock some money away to help you live while you’re either sitting around earning $400 a week waiting for your tractor to be repaired, or have that money ready if/when you have to leave them for another trucking company so you and your family won’t starve.
    No, I am not disgruntled; this is how it is.
    I loved driving for Averitt. I loved the people working there, but the bottom line is that Averitt does not take very good care of the equipment, and they hang onto their tractors for far too long. Instead of properly repairing and maintaining them, they slap bandaids on the issues. This is not because the mechanics are inept, because they’re excellent at what they do. The mechanics know what needs to be done. It’s the corporate higher-ups trying to squeeze six pennies from a nickel.
    Get some experience with Averitt Express if you must, but prepare yourself by not planning on being there for too long.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.