Calex Express....My New Home!

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by JohnBoy, Aug 9, 2009.

1. JohnBoy

JohnBoy Road Train Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Lake Worth, FL.
    Bingo! This is called hiiting the nail on the head. I couldn't do what our local guys do. Too much interupted sleep for me.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mgt1085

mgt1085 Medium Load Member

Oct 4, 2009
    west palm beach,fl
    i second that seems u go thru alot of crap to be home everynight

4. JohnBoy

Apr 24, 2009
    Lake Worth, FL.
    You got that shot right. Being home every night doesn't mean getting home at 7am then sleeping the rest of the day just to get up and do it again.

5. Trashtrucker1265

Trashtrucker1265 Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2009
    Inverness, Fl
    I'll just say this one last thing, don't want to derail the thread. I honestly, after driving for nearly 9 years now, think that local driving is one of the biggest misconceptions within the industry. Home daily is really nothing but a tease unless you're one of the small majority of drivers out there that can find that really sweet deal, and let's face it there are millions of drivers out here so the probability of this happening lends itself to the odds of winning any given states lottery.

Here's just a quick example; Go in at 2:30am on Friday, trailer has brake issues so I take it back to the yard and hook an empty to do what was scheduled as my 2nd load, take a quick nap(our trucks have little sleepers) get loaded and go to the job site. Get unloaded by 10:30am, deadhead north to Harrisville, Pa to grab a load of rock dust for some backwoods coal mine, finally get it loaded and have a truck in front of me. Long story short, finally rolled back in the yard at 7:00pm, kind of felt like Dr.Seuss when I filled out my log for the day, nothing but a childrens story full of fiction and adventure.

I like the guys I work for and I know it's not their fault, but days like this are more common than what people think, a company like Calex that uses E-logs allows their drivers to have the proper rest and maintain a pretty scheduled lifestyle, the sacrifice being that you have to be gone from home. For many of you that's not a sacrifice but for me it is.

This crazy career is all in what you make of it, but don't be fooled by the bold print stating HOME EVERY NIGHT, you'll be there but just enough for dinner, shower, and a few hours of sleep.

End rant............

6. jlind

jlind Heavy Load Member

Dec 21, 2010
    Nature coast, Fl.
    TT... after 35 years of trucking I can count more on my amount of time home being OTR then I ever could when I ran local!! At least when I tell my wife I'll be home I know I have "x" amount of time off, and of course I just DON"T answer the phone before that time!!!

Now back to our regularly scheduled thread.... Johnboy, enjoy your cruise!!! Wish I was going!!!

JohnBoy Thanks this.
  7. JohnBoy

Apr 24, 2009
    Lake Worth, FL.
    You might call it a rant, but it sure was a good one.

8. JohnBoy

Apr 24, 2009
    Lake Worth, FL.
    Thanks..............And the clock has started to count down.

jlind and The Challenger Thank this.
  9. the bambino

the bambino Bobtail Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Pottsville PA
    where do they usually run drivers right after orientation should i expect to be gone for a week or a couple of days? just want to know how much stuff to put in the truck right away

10. Voyager1968

Voyager1968 Road Train Member

Sep 11, 2008
    Phoenix, AZ
    Thanks John, and I will.

Just to touch on a few things from the last few posts. I have a mix of about 50-50 home at a normal time and home late with just enough time to shower, eat, and sleep. Many days I'm up at 3AM and don't get home until 6PM. Then there is the site work that is only paid while you are on the site. Any travel time in the truck is free time. For us, we're working on the I-476 near Philly so that means a 1.5 hour travel to and from the job. That's 3 hours I don't get paid for every day I'm assigned to that job. Then there is the truck maintenance (or lack thereof) in my case. Most of our equipment is in bad shape, and trying to get the shop guys to fix things is difficult at best. If they do it at all, it's seems to be at their leisure.

So, in a nutshell, local isn't the gravy train that a lot of drivers think it is. Other then the shower at home and sleeping in your own bed, most times you're just too flat out tired to really enjoy anything.

JohnBoy and jlind Thank this.
  11. JohnBoy

Apr 24, 2009
    Lake Worth, FL.
    Well I would say they would run you back thru the house but you live 55 miles from the terminal so you'll be dispatched out. With that being said, you will have enough time to go back home and get whatever you need. All our freight is dispatched out then right back. Lets say you go to Florida, then it will usually be Mcelhattan Pa to Orlando. From there it usually will be a broker load either back to PA, NY, or, to SC. if it's SC then you'll be sent to Greenville for a drop and hook at our regular customer going back the same customer in Mountain Top. You living in Pottsville will be the same type of days out and days off as me living in Florida. 4-6 days out, 2-3 days home. The good thing for you is when you get back to Pittston you won't be waiting on the shop to work on your truck like I have to. You'll drop it off at the yard, go home then come back when you are ready to go back out and your truck will be waiting for you.

The Challenger and the bambino Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.