Calex Express....My New Home!

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by JohnBoy, Aug 9, 2009.

1. JohnBoy

JohnBoy Road Train Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Lake Worth, FL.
    I'm home, and with the week I had I couldn't have gotten here fast enough. When I left Pittston last week I noticed I was losing power on hills and even on flat ground taking off. I would mash down on the fuel pedal and nothing would happen. It took forever to get up to speed. Then my check engine fault popped up with a code that I googled and found out my Turbo Actuator went bad. I called into the shop and discussed the problem with them and we decided that I could make back to Pittston, very slowly mind you, but it could be done. I try and get all my work done through our shop and the Volvo dealer we own, not being stuck at the mercy of some shop on the road.

I made it home last week, did my run then loaded Monday to go back. I told Louie what was happening. Being on this run, with it's time constraints makes it extremely difficult to factor in a breakdown or any other hiccups. I load my 2 pick ups Wednesday mornings then drive almost non stop to get to Wilmington NC for my first drop off at 12:30 am. So it was decided that the problem with my truck would require a few days in the shop and that I would take a loaner truck on this round. I did my pick ups with my truck, went back to the terminal and took only 2 changes of clothes, my gps and satellite radio and a pen. Everything else I left in my truck with the promise that it would not be used and put in the body shop until I got back. I hope so, the last time I left my stuff behind most of it came up missing.

This loaner truck has the same mileage as mine, but just came out of Volvo with a new engine that required 3 months of it being at the dealer. I got into it and almost immediately wanted to throw up. Nasty, disgusting, and the new name I call it is my personal dumpster on wheels. I mean there's a difference between messy and dirty, this was dirty. I can only imagine what the house of the team that drove it looks like. I mean come on, the mattress looks like someone slaughtered beef on it. What in actuality was someone not remembering when her period was about to show up. Now before anyone gets pissy about that remark just let me say, I'm married to my wife who for the last 18 years we've been sleeping together has never once used our bed as a tampon. Just nasty.

I couldn't stand the thought of sleeping in that truck a second night so I came home last night, slept in my bed then left at 5am this morning to finish my two drops. I did clean the truck a little at 2am yesterday morning to make it somewhat liveable. I'll only have to sleep in it once going back to Pittston next week. I should be able to handle this.

Now onto other truck news. I was getting ready to leave Pittston Wednesday morning when I got paged to see the big cheese at the company. I was told that because my truck is a team coast truck and I won't be going west anymore, I have to give up my truck. We have 4 KW W-900's with the studio sleepers. They have 13 speed tranny's, are pre-emmission trucks, no DEF, no re-gen, old school trucks. Tom, who does the west coast Florida run has one and loves it, the one I will get next week has been in our shop getting engine work done, new air suspension, new king pins and bushings, new A/C dryer and compressor and a host of other things done to it. It's old school trucking at it's finest. I was told to think about it. I spoke to Tom at length about it and decided to take it. My 2 pick ups and 3 drops can handle a long hood with no problem so I'll be moving into that when I get back.

I enjoy my automatic Volvo, but with the advent of electronics on these things the chances for a breakdown are magnified even more. I just hope I get the same results out of the KW as I did with the Volvo.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2012
    The Challenger and Cyanide Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Cyanide

Cyanide Light Load Member

Aug 15, 2011
    Jacksonville, FL
    Ugh is all I can say John! Between the loaner truck and the gremlins those Volvo's have there. Too much technology lol. Good luck with the ol' K-whopper, I had to use one for a week one time myself and absolutely loved it. Loved the 13-speed and having that control over shifting again, especially on the hills. Which, coincidentally, is another nice thing here since all our trucks are 13's. Have ya a great weekend, hopefully see some of y'all again soon, out west now...

JohnBoy Thanks this.
  4. JohnBoy

Apr 24, 2009
    Lake Worth, FL.
    Thanks Carlo, Be safe my friend. I'm going to PM you my phone number. God Bless.

Cyanide Thanks this.
  5. The Challenger

The Challenger Kinghunter

Dec 22, 2007
    East Central FL
    JB,

I would be disgusted and complain to upper management. I am not much of a complainer but a bed that looks like what you are describing takes the top of the cake. Groosssssssssss I have one rule when it comes to other peoples stuff. "cleaniness is next to godliness. I wish more people were considerate of others.

KH

JohnBoy Thanks this.
  6. JohnBoy

Apr 24, 2009
    Lake Worth, FL.
    Got my reload info late this afternoon. I have to load in Griffin Ga at 3pm Monday going to Pa and MA. I'll be dropping it at the yard late Tuesday night for a local driver to make the drops. I need to be ready to load my dedicated run on Wednesday morning.

7. Voyager1968

Voyager1968 Road Train Member

Sep 11, 2008
    Phoenix, AZ
    Large car truckin' John? Sounds awesome! I would have loved to have one of those W-9's myself when I was there. As for that disgusting mattress, I would have thrown it in the nearest dumpster and slept on the wood underbed. Although if the mattress was that bad, who knows what it might have looked like UNDERNEATH it...

JohnBoy Thanks this.
  8. JohnBoy

Apr 24, 2009
    Lake Worth, FL.
    I hear ya Steve. I was told the same thing when I mentioned it to safety, it was suppose to be detailed, clean it and turn in the receipts. It's the same line I've heard the last 4 times I've moved into a truck. Sounds like lip service to me. How about this concept, clean it. Any way, how are you doing?

9. Jorihe84

Jorihe84 Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2010
    North Florida
    I had to recover a truck from a guy in GA once. Heavy smoker AND dipper. Countless amounts of pee and spit jugs thru the entire truck. Couldn't see the color of the dash because all of the cigarette ashes. All cup holders were filled with cig butts. Mire cig butts then I could count on the floor. Bed looked like it was used for a urinal. Not to mention he had a dog so the hair was a nightmare. I covered the seat with cloth, wiped the wheel down with Clorox wipes and slept in a hotel for the 2 days I had it.

It's amazing how nasty people are. If I get dust on my floor I frantically sweep and wipe with orange cleaner.

10. JohnBoy

Apr 24, 2009
    Lake Worth, FL.
    Now that right there is pretty gross.

anj8488 Thanks this.
  11. Voyager1968

Voyager1968 Road Train Member

Sep 11, 2008
    Phoenix, AZ
    I'm still chugging along on the local tank gig. It's not going as good as it was before though. The spring water well owners bought their own trucks and have phased us out of one of the wells we used to haul out of. We are now running out of one that they manage, but is located on my company's land, so they can't toss us out of that one. The caveat is that there may be too many trucks for the well to handle. If that's the case, I can see the possibility of a lay-off in my future.

JohnBoy Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.