California Owner Operators....some new US Court Ruling....

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Val_Caldera, Jul 2, 2022.

1. Wasted Thyme

Wasted Thyme Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2020
    GOAT watching
    So you create two companies. One that makes "widgets." The other that moves freight. Give your freight company the gig to move your non-existent widgets.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. wis bang

wis bang Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Levittown, PA
    still a common carrier so the DOT and state and insurance company may have something to say about that. The warehouse already is another company name but the two are tied together, 2nd gen family owned; imports came from aparel customers' freight going off shore. Plus the company guys often pull the MT containers back to our yard after their LTL runs. It is all tied together.

4. wis bang

wis bang Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Levittown, PA
    Very true in LA and Long Beach but the NJ port realy does not have 'mega' buy a job programs but they are doing what they do best, being the 2nd state to follow Cali for anything green or stupid...

Back when they jumped onto the ABC test bandwagon the state DOJ sent out a letter to be posted in all NJ businesses informing employees what miss-classification is and how to rat out their employer...

5. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    I wonder if that impacts others outside of the trucking industry, like Lyft and Uber drivers, or some of those home health nurses as well. I could be wrong about the latter as I don't know as much about jobs within the medical field

6. Wasted Thyme

Jan 27, 2020
    GOAT watching
    I suspect you will have a place invite o/o and Megas. Like happened with banking. So everyone will just incorporate there. Give them a nice tax revenue and tell abc to kya

7. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Yes i believe it will effect every 1099 contractor who gets their work from an employer that they dont have an ownership stake in.. Which effects alot of people.. More than i think the government understands...

8. Wasted Thyme

Jan 27, 2020
    GOAT watching
    But Lyft and Uber are carved out.

9. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    I hear ya. I don't think this will be over by a long shot. The ironic thing is the government made laws, and allowed loopholes to be taken advantage of.

10. D.Tibbitt

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Where does it say that? There is no mention of services like uber and lyft. Unless i missed it. The only things i saw that were not under the abc test were lawyers, sales people and other mentioned like that.

11. D.Tibbitt

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    That is what they government does best.. They are here to help ! :rolleyes:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.