California Owner Operators....some new US Court Ruling....

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Val_Caldera, Jul 2, 2022.

1. Wasted Thyme

Wasted Thyme Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2020
    GOAT watching
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    California voters voted to exempt Uber, Lyft etc from this law. Dumb people don't even think about how this will eventually affect all of them.

4. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    So if they make special exemptions for companies like this , whats to stop trucking companies from doing it? In my opinion uber and lyft and doordash and all various delivery service companies are the biggest violaters of the law... So with a the cop outs it seems like cali just wanted to go after the trucking companies who offer 1099 gigs. Which im not particularly opposed of them getting punishment. Why not just write the law for trucking companies rather than paint with such a broad brush and then give everybody else an exemption?

5. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Uber spent over 200 million is convincing California residents to vote for Prop 22, which exempts "gig economy" workers. You know, the whole reason AB5 was even passed....

6. Wasted Thyme

Jan 27, 2020
    GOAT watching
    Cuz originally they wanted Uber, too.

7. D.Tibbitt

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    So why did they just exclude them then? I think all 1099 gigs should be against the law, but in the same boat, i am not for more government regulation in any industry. They never fix any problems, just cause more of them. And make it harder for the little guy to get ahead.

8. Wasted Thyme

Jan 27, 2020
    GOAT watching
    I wonder if there is a way to use this part of prop 22 against ab5 .

"According to the Ballotpedia website, Prop 22 “defined app-based drivers as workers who (a) provide delivery services on an on-demand basis through a business’s online-enabled application or platform or (b) use a personal vehicle to provide prearranged transportation services for compensation via a business’s online-enabled application or platform.”

9. Wasted Thyme

Jan 27, 2020
    GOAT watching
    The people voted. Uber and Lyft got it on the ballot.

10. D.Tibbitt

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Trucking companies do the same thing if they provide a in house load board.. I would not be surprised if this law ends back up in court sometime soon. It seems there is so many holes that can be poked thru it... One could even argue it is unconstitutional

11. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Because Uber spent over 200 million dollars convincing the residents to vote for a proposition. Once voted for, the government has no option but to implement it.
    Yes the "trucking industry" could do the same. You can even setup a gofundme or kickstarter to see if people will help you reach that over 200 million goal to convince the California residents to vote for a trucking exemption proposition.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.