California Owner Operators....some new US Court Ruling....

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Val_Caldera, Jul 2, 2022.

1. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    AB% was in response to an "Exposé" on the screwing many port drivers were getting by their companies. The drivers were supposed to be independent contractors but had no control over their operations. As usual, Cali lawmakers overeacted.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. armo

armo Light Load Member

Jun 16, 2022
    go open your company, get your authority and numbers, pay taxes as we do.. problem solved.

4. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    What does having authority have to do with paying taxes?

5. Wasted Thyme

Wasted Thyme Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2020
    GOAT watching
    You know. All I think this really going to do. Is in crease business for mailboxes etc in neighboring states and escapes RV club. :D

6. HobSkin

HobSkin Bobtail Member

Jul 10, 2022
    I'm a brand new Authority in California I did not even know anything about ab5 I just knew I was going to drive a truck at some point and my daughter wanted to get into a box truck so I did it.

I sure have learned a whole lot over the last two and a half three months trying to build this business, was planning on a rental but they're so hard to get just a 26 footer so she could start getting our Authority established I'm still carrying for someone that I'm not sure he's going to have to start paying me as an employee I guess. I asked him and he didn't really have an answer.

I've been constantly studying the industry learned a lot the full cost breakdown and how much I need to make to make money to break even to profit whatever. I was going to get my own truck in like 6 months or so, a tractor, but now I'm thinking I'm going to start getting phone calls or something because there's going to be a heavy demand on the spot market so I might be getting my truck early.

When I filed I did it with my daughter as co-owner so unless I hire another driver I shouldn't have to pay any payroll. Also I think I have another idea I'm going to post.

7. HobSkin

HobSkin Bobtail Member

Jul 10, 2022
    Isn't the MC Authority that a broker has only for brokering and the MC number we have is only for driving it is illegal for us to broker it is illegal for them to drive so I think it would be safe to say all the load boards are up for grabs correct? I believe the spot market is going to get flooded there's no way these companies can expand their fleets that fast takes 2 years to get a new truck!

8. wis bang

wis bang Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Levittown, PA
    You need a carrier with insurance registered with UIIA/IANA and steamship interchange approvals to do intermodal, it is not that easy

9. HobSkin

HobSkin Bobtail Member

Jul 10, 2022
    Maybe not easy for me to do that but all of it's going to put a strain on the rest of the industry is what I'm saying, if other guys qualify for that that's still going to leave whatever they're doing before.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.