California wants to do away with all diesel vehicles in 20 years

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by SteveScott, Mar 8, 2019.

1. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    This is the real problem that I have with all the climate change activism.

United States seems to say that they want to be the leader and in the Forefront of showing the world to stop using fossil fuels etcetera.

But the problem with that is even if we were able to completely 100% stop, the rest of the world would keep on polluting and it would put us in a disadvantageous position economically.

And assuming climate change is real even if we completely and totally stop the usage of fossil fuels, that would not even put a dent in the problem because of the pollution from the rest of the world.

The whole world would have to do it all at once.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    Well I'm sorry you aren't here to argue, because the "97% of climate scientists agree" claim was debunked a very long time ago. It was the "opinion" of a single climate scientist named J. Cook, and nobody can seem to verify his methodology for determining that number.

Of course a simple search on your search engine of choice will undoubtedly result in some very credible arguments against Anthropogenic, or human-caused, Global Warming. All you have to do is open your eyes.

4. otterinthewater

otterinthewater Road Train Member

May 10, 2018
    Santa Barbara, Ca
    Can you give me a link to the debunk?

Edit: I stand corrected according to this article.

80-90%. Is the more accurate number according to this article I found.

Fact Checking The Claim Of 97% Consensus On Anthropogenic Climate Change

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
  5. daf105paccar

daf105paccar Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2012
    Follow the money.
    Party A will have backers that will want things to stay the same because they are earning high $$$$$.
    Party B will have sponsors that want to change because they are in new industries.

Both spend a lot on lobbyists.

6. daf105paccar

daf105paccar Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2012
    The flaw in that argument is that the rest off the world is changing.
    And while opting out may be popular and win votes,it did 2 things.
    1°the USA lost control off the process.
    2° it slowed change.

7. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    United States never had control of the process. The pulling out has nothing to do with slowing things down.

All that is going to happen is we put all kinds of restrictions on ourselves and other countries do not. No one was on the same page.

For example. I would like to buy a brand new Volkswagen diesel imported from Germany. I can't do that because Germany's pollution standards are different than ours. They can be part of whatever agreement is but none of it is the same.

And developing countries are given a complete break from everything while they pollute and pollute and pollute and develop their economies.

The only way anything could make a difference is if everyone had the exact same standards of pollution all countries in the entire world and they all had the exact same standard.
    But you can't be the only country that has the highest standard while everyone else has an economic advantage and just pollutes as they feel like it.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
    gokiddogo Thanks this.
  8. Tombstone69

Tombstone69 Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2018
    Jersey shore
    After seeing what we have done to the earth in the last 200 yrs, the next 200 should be a blast(literally). The earth will shake us off like a bad case of fleas(George Carlin). Man this thread has sure gone off course.

9. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    Yes it has. If we can keep the political comments out of it we can keep it here in the main forum.
    If not, it goes to the dungeon known as the Political Forum.
    I don't think anyone wants that so it's up to you guys.

Jwhis Thanks this.
  10. mover man

mover man Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2010
    I don'y remember global cooling in the 70's. Not saying your wrong. Just saying I remember the 70's fondly and I do not remember that.
    The term global warming was changed to climate change. Because the effects are different depending on where on the globe you are located. That and to many idiots dont' understand the difference between weather and climate.

daf105paccar Thanks this.
  11. mover man

mover man Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2010
    Ok whoever made that comment probably should not have said junk. However thier point is still valid. The truck in that you tube clip has been restored to "LOOK" good. Take it for a ride, first thing you will notice is no power steering sucks, also pushing on that clutch will give you a massive left calf. Dont get the shift exactl t right, well you be coming to a stop, and start all over again. Then you will find out woooow really need an extra extra extra long time to stop. What roll down windows, no power door locks. Is there something wrong with the suspension, cause this thing tides like ####!
    I started driving in the early 70's. So the oldest anything I drove was a 1960 something. But I can tell ya what you take for granted and standard today. Was considered a far fetched imaginary dream years ago.

daf105paccar and FozzyNOK Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.