Called to duty by Schneider National

Discussion in 'Schneider' started by Roadranger2010, Apr 28, 2010.

1. Roadranger2010

Roadranger2010 Bobtail Member

Apr 28, 2010
    I'm a rookie driver and was just contacted by a schneider recruiter to go to work for them based out of their Birmingham, AL location. I am a recent driving school graduate and saw that they were hiring recent truck driver school graduates for this region and applied yesterday; and was contacted this morning! The recruiter said I would have to go to Dallas, Tx for seven days and learn the "schneider way" then back home for 2 days, then out with a trainer for seven days, and after that, get my truck. It sounds too good to be true. Get my truck after just seven days of training? I thought most companies require that you at least complete 300 hours of otr with a trainer. I was just wondering if any of you guys have any opinions about schneider? Is this a good company to start with? And, has anybody been to the Dallas, Tx terminal for orientation? What was it like?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bigcove

bigcove Light Load Member

Mar 6, 2010
    Murfreesboro, TN
    I am getting the same deal only I will be driving in the Nashville region. I, too, had misgivings about the training time, but after some research found that during the seven days in orientation that simulators are used besides yard and road driving. I have had several pre-hires and reduced my list to Roehl and Schneider. I am leaning more toward SNI at this time, but I am still keeping my options open. I have to go to a local clinic to do a urinalysis and hair sample this Friday. I am set up to report to the Dallas OC on May 22nd. I could have went sooner, but have some obligations that prevent me from leaving until then.

I wouldn't let your worries about lack of training time be a deal breaker. After my research on this forum, I believe their training is pretty top notch and you will be ready to go solo when the time comes. According to the recruiter, if you need extra time, you can get it unless you are not trainable. I am not saying that is the case with you, but generally speaking.

Schneider is advertising that they need 2100 drivers for Regional positions, and yes I thought the deal was too good to be true as well for a rookie like myself, but after talking to the recruiter, a few drivers at a local truck stop, and researching here I am more comfortable with it.

Good luck to you.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2010
  4. GypsyWillowDusk72

GypsyWillowDusk72 Medium Load Member

Jul 14, 2009
    everywhere
    I think that Schneider is under the impression that one can drive a truck and only needs to be orientated to the operation of the qual comm and such. I would assume that if a trainer has any concerns about ones driving abilities he would express them. Good luck to you both.

bigcove Thanks this.
  5. ryan7659

ryan7659 Bobtail Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Kenton,Ohio
    I went thru training with them 3 years ago (it was 2 weeks in the classroom then) they will cram alot of info in your head in that week so be ready for some long days. once u go over the road with a trainer you will b doing all of the driving they do not have you run as a team like some other companys, after that week if your trainer says you are ready(if not you will b out with him for one more week) you will have a SQT(skills qualification test) given by another trainer, and when you pass you will be given your truck. I can't help you with what the dallas operating center is like, i went thru training in green bay, wi. They are a good company to get training with and work for. I am still driving for them and have very few complaints.
    hope this is helpful.,ryan

rookietrucker Thanks this.
  6. GypsyWillowDusk72

GypsyWillowDusk72 Medium Load Member

Jul 14, 2009
    everywhere
    I would be going to reapply to Schneider in Sept. (heart rate was too high but now under new meds and working out) but miles have been low for hubby and can't wait till then. So it's off to Hogan Transport for us. I wish we could have waited but you know how creditors are. They are not very understanding.

7. johnday

johnday Road Train Member

Well, another thread I missed!!

To all, you could do a lot worse than SNI for a starter company. I've only been there close to 1 1/2 years, and really have no thoughts about leaving at this time.
    The Dallas OC isn't "too" bad. It's surrounded by electrified fence to keep the riffraff out. It's not laid out as well as most of the others, but it is usable.
    As far as the training, I don't know much about it. I can say I've talked to a number of the trainors, and they seemed to know what they're doing.
    Another thing I DO know. You will be treated as a human anywhere in the company. I've been with 3 other biggies so believe me, I know. I've never felt I've been lied to, or mislead in any way.
    However, the regional thing. I'm not sure if it should really be called that, or at least not what I'd think of regional. Seems we have Eastern, which is basically any thing east of the Mississippi, and western, which is the rest of the U.S.
    And we do Canada, if that is a problem for any, I'll gladly take your load!!LOL
    When I came on, a passport was required, as well as HAZMAT. Did anyone say anything about those? I don't know if either are still required since they're hiring so many new guys.
    I take as well that all of you have your CDL's in your pockets? Just asking for my own benefit.

Good luck to all of you, and welcome the Big Orange Pumpkin!!:biggrin_255:

bigcove Thanks this.
  8. Everett

Everett Crusty Shorts, What???

Oct 20, 2009
    Hampton,Ia
    What is a skills test giving by other drivers consist of:biggrin_25520:

9. johnday

johnday Road Train Member

Never did it, but have seen it on the yard. All it looked like was doing a lot of backing. Alley docking is what I mostly watched. Tip; it looked like they were really watching for people to do the GOAL. SNI has a little different way they want you to hook a trailer as well. Did it their way when I hired on, but then reverted back to the way I've always done it. You're expected to back up to trailer, and just before contact, get out and make sure that trailer is at the correct height. Judging by all the caved in cab extensions I've seen, it's not done very much by the newer people. The look see is supposed to prevent high hooking.
    You'll go on a road test as well. The instructor will expect you to be in the correct gear to make a turn, BEFORE the turn. If I remember right, the training trailers are loaded with concrete to simulate a real load.:biggrin_255:

10. bigcove

Mar 6, 2010
    Murfreesboro, TN

I do already have my Passport, but they told me nothing of going to Canada. I do hope I get to go. I haven't been to that country yet. I have not tried to get my HAZMAT endorsement yet. My instructors told me to wait and let a company sponsor me. It was not asked about by my recruiter.

11. bigcove

Mar 6, 2010
    Murfreesboro, TN

This is EXACTLY how I was taught in school. Also after unhooking, to stop with the trailer still over the tractor frame in case the landing gear collapsed or the ground was too soft for the landing gear pads.

Also, to be in the correct gear before a turn.

Borsburn Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.