Calling All Hot Shots

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by SMBdriver, Sep 6, 2011.

1. Motownfire

Motownfire Light Load Member

Nov 17, 2010
    The Great State of Texas
    Here's an example of the oil field stuff we haul here in The GREAT STATE OF TEXAS.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Motownfire

Motownfire Light Load Member

Nov 17, 2010
    The Great State of Texas
    Not much if any Hot Shotting in Florida. I would look into car hauling for that part of the country.

4. olstinker

olstinker Bobtail Member

May 10, 2011
    Eunice,La.
    Im not closed mouth. Ive helped quite a few people who asked me for info. I am leased to Acme and haul only oilfield equip. I dont know anything about hauling cars or RV's. If I can answer your questions I will. BTW I just started a facebook page for this very reason. It seemed like a good way to stay in touch and exchange info. My page is called oilfield hotshotters. If you want info on hauling anything other than oilfield equip. my facebook page isnt gonna helpyou.

SMBdriver Thanks this.
  5. me only

me only Medium Load Member

Nov 9, 2011
    buford ga
    my little rig when it was new,
    [​IMG]

6. Hatya

Hatya Bobtail Member

Dec 15, 2010
    Leesburg IN
    Since you guys where talking about fuel milage, I'll chime in.

2011 F350 DRW lariat. I pull Rvs, I get 10mpg loaded or better every trip. Smaller units get better, as much as 11.5 - 12 for the 14' and such, but always 10 at bare minimum.

Empty, if i could do 60 i could get 18, but i cant do 60 lol. I roll at 70 almost always and get mid - high 16's empty. I did a test in canada and ran 55 for a long stretch, like 2.5 hours, so 150 miles, and was at 20mpg empty.

Im considering a spartan tuner/dpf/egr/exhaust kit, ive heard claims of 2-4 mpg increase empty with this.

I have 112k miles now, and the milage has not changed since it was new. The only issue ive had is a small oil leak from the turbo, fixed under warranty, and rarely the trans shifts funny, but only cold and empty.

Hope this helps someone.

7. gorteck

gorteck Bobtail Member

Oct 28, 2010
    Do you have to keep log book? If so how are you dealing with the sleep requirement, hotel or can you make a dot approved sleeper out of the back seat?

8. olstinker

olstinker Bobtail Member

May 10, 2011
    Eunice,La.
    Yes I have to run a log book. I sleep at home. Most loads are short out and back.

9. SMBdriver

SMBdriver Light Load Member

Nov 28, 2010
    Yep, I run a log book too. When I'm out farther than I can legally get back in one day, I do get motels. I know a lot of guys camp out in their trucks but I'm too old, too tall, and too much of a girl to even want to try it.

I'd much rather spend 10 hours in a motel (even a lousy one) where I can stretch out and relax, make a cup of coffee and watch some tv behind a securely locked door than to try to sleep in the cramped up back seat either freezing or frying, and with nothing but truck windows between me and all those critters that scurry around in the dark at truck stops. (Particularly the 2 legged kind)

I've got a lot of my gear back there as it is between clothes, winter gear, some groceries, safety gear, and other stuff I don't want to stow in my toolboxes since they're full of tools and tiedowns and such.

My understanding on those back seat sleepers is that they aren't and never have been exactly DOT approved. One of the requirements for sleepers is that if they're accessible from the driver's seat, they have to be truly accessible, which means you'd have to jerk out the passenger seat or console to be legal getting in and out of it too if I'm understanding the rules correctly.

When I've been inspected one of the things they almost always ask for if they're checking logs is motel receipts as well.

A lot of guys tell me it's too expensive for them to get motels and that motels eat up all their profits. In my opinion, if they aren't making enough to be able to buy a motel room so they can get a decent night's sleep when they're out working, then they're not getting good enough paying loads and need to find some better customers.

Sorry to go on so long, but this is a hot topic of debate amongst a lot of drivers of these little trucks, and I can get carried away on it pretty easy. Hope this helps some!

10. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    You cannot make a legal sleeper in any pickup back seat . They aren't wide enough . A Canadian company tried making a kit that put bubble type extensions on the windows to get the width but FMCSA went to the U.S. distributor and determined the height requirement over the mattress wasn't close to being met .
    Many hotshotters go with a Freightliner FL70 or M2 .

11. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    What you do and where you stay when off duty is your business and exempt from regulation . They have no right to ask for motel receipts . There is no stipulation in regulations requiring sleep or rest when off duty .

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.