Can’t afford the GPS...

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by JReding, Jul 3, 2018.

1. rolls canardly

rolls canardly Road Train Member

Feb 7, 2009
    mt. pocono. pa.
    Not of much consequence, but - Got a divorce, and was at the final sign off, 6 floors up in my Lawyers
    conference room, signed the papers, got my "half of the house" check, (I gave her all the contents,)
    went down the elevator with the "new" ex- wife, she went left, I went right. Not a word was spoken,
    I never saw her again in 32 years. They're all different, but they're all the same. Sorry for your issues.

IluvCATS and JReding Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. The Crossword Trucker

The Crossword Trucker Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    Sad but true. Young drivers take note. This industry feels the pain of divorce more than any other.

JReding Thanks this.
  4. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Dude don't you fill up at truck stops and don't you use their loyalty cards?

Get some points on it and buy one.

snowwy and JReding Thank this.
  5. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Hopefully your map doesn’t still show such things as pedestrian bridges in Milwaukee as named public roads. :biggrin_25523:

JReding Thanks this.
  6. Cam Roberts

Cam Roberts Road Train Member

May 13, 2018
    Google maps is great and doesn’t need to show restricted routes. I don’t pull trailers anymore but when I did, I just followed google maps. If I came across a restricted route or bridge, I would stay off that road and google maps would reroute me to the next close way.

7. JReding

JReding Road Train Member

Sep 8, 2014
    Puyallup, WA
    I have rewards with different companies, I haven’t even thought to check my points on them (okay, rookie move). This is the first job I’ve had where the driver is fully responsible for the fueling of the truck: everywhere else, since we worked as local drivers and were home every day, (1) the company had a bulk fueler come in twice a week and fill all the trucks, or (2) the company had its own on site fuel tank/pump. I’ve had rewards cards for years, but it would take me a year to save up enough points to buy a pack of gum...

8. SteveBausch

SteveBausch Light Load Member

Oct 15, 2014
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    In the old days, you could stop at a phone booth and rip the map pages from the yellow pages.

And yes, nowadays:

Nobody picks up the phone.

The receiving department has no directions on wall, next to the phone.

Maps at rest areas are 50% advertisements.

No city maps for sale at truckstops.

Your employer no longer keeps a binder of proven directions.

Microsoft Streets And Trips was a great start, but it was abandoned by Microsoft.

If there’s a unit that shows a variety of routes (least left turns, least right turns, least total turns, most Interstate, etc) PLEASE TELL ME!

Here in Indiana, the Traffic feature on my Garmin is useless; perhaps the Troopers don’t want the trucks getting off the interstate? Cause they surely don’t report when they have a cruiser sideways across the interstate, forcing all traffic onto the exit.

I’m suspecting Homeland Security and ICE is advising against any feature to allow dodging roadblocks, or going over the river and through the woods to arrive at Exit # 214.

When you can no longer navigate to Longitude and Latitude, or save coordinates, that will certainly be the government “helping” us.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
    DSK333 and JReding Thank this.
  9. JReding

JReding Road Train Member

Sep 8, 2014
    Puyallup, WA
    I remember doing that as a teenager. And then I would be morally indignant when I wanted to find something in the phone book, and some else had ripped that page out... the nerve some people have! :mad::rolleyes:

Sirscrapntruckalot Thanks this.
  10. IluvCATS

IluvCATS Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Seattle, WA
    so you are the one who was doing that??

Sirscrapntruckalot and JReding Thank this.
  11. Sirscrapntruckalot

Sirscrapntruckalot Road Train Member

Him an @JReding . Seems they hat quite the telephone book ring going on.

So tell the truth you to...did you keep them as trophies of your crimes? Do you now have a hidden room with the walls papered in stolen telephone book pages? Laugh manically every time you saw someone cussing up a storm cause they couldn't find the page, let alone the number?

Shame. Shame on you. SHAME!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sirscrapntruckalot - .. ... .........!

JReding and IluvCATS Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.