Can a car hauler cause this damage?

Discussion in 'Car Hauler and Auto Carrier Trucking Forum' started by sevendust717, Sep 2, 2018.

1. sevendust717

sevendust717 Bobtail Member

Sep 2, 2018
    Hi all,
    I recently received a car that was transported from Pennsylvania to Colorado and it had significant damage to the underside of it. The damage was not reported on the original inspections form. My question is can this damage that is shown in the pics happen to a Rav4 if it was improperly secured via transit? Any help is appriciated, thank you!

Attached Files:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. brian991219

brian991219 Road Train Member

Aug 10, 2013
    Lords Valley, PA
    Where did the car come from? That looks like damage consistent with a forklift like the kind used at Copart and IAA salvage auctions or towing impound lots.

If the car didn't come from a salvage or tow yard, then it may indicate that the transporter missed the ramp on his truck and that is where the scrape and tear on the lower valance comes from. Not sure how the dent to the sub-frame assembly came from unless the ramp completely gave out underneath the car while loading or unloading it.

Does not look like securement related damage, the tear is not in a spot that anyone would attach a chain to. If it were a hole in the uni-body that tore out then I would say yes, tie-down related.

elgerone, crb, Hulld and 1 other person Thank this.
  4. Oldironfan

Oldironfan Road Train Member

May 22, 2017
    Looks like that thing was dragged out of the woods?

crb and Puppage Thank this.
  5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    That's forklift damage and I think the ramp was dropped.

ADESA uses a forklift alot on salvage and other cars.

I don't haul cars but I can tell you that's not tie down damage.

crb Thanks this.
  6. sevendust717

sevendust717 Bobtail Member

Sep 2, 2018
    Thank you for your reply.The car came from an auction yard most likely off of a lease (its a 2015 and in otherwise great shape). Unfortunately it is around $5,000 in damage as the AC condenser and radiator support are damaged in addition to the crossmembers.
    What I dont want to do is go through the transporter's insurance unless I am sure that it was damaged during transport or loading/unloading. If anybody else has some information/possible ideas of how it couldve been damaged please let me know.

Thanks!

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  7. djbattle

djbattle Light Load Member

Jun 27, 2014
    This damage is old it has rust on it

elgerone, Lite bug, crb and 3 others Thank this.
  8. Feedman

Feedman Medium Load Member

Aug 17, 2015
    West mi
    Dumb question first. You sure it didn't have the damage before you bought it. Did you see it in person or have pictures of that area with out damage? I would call the auction and ask them if they know anything about it and how they move and load cars. Does the transporter have any pictures of when they got the car before loading? That's how I would start.

Ruthless, Lite bug, x1Heavy and 2 others Thank this.
  9. djbattle

djbattle Light Load Member

Jun 27, 2014
    If the rust wasn't there he could have forgot to pull out the ramps and drove it right off ,you should get another estimate 2

10. Oldironfan

Oldironfan Road Train Member

May 22, 2017
    Do a carfax report. Was that car totaled?

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  11. p608

p608 Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2016
    The rust is old, look to the left and you can see more, the damage is fresh.

brian991219 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.