Can a company make a company driver pay for maintenance?

Discussion in 'Trucker Legal Advice' started by Massey999, Apr 4, 2017.

1. Massey999

Massey999 Bobtail Member

Apr 4, 2017
    Currently driving for a company for a whole 2 days now. About 20 miles into my first trip, the emergency stop engine light came on and the truck shut off at top speed on the interstate about 20 seconds later. This happened once more a few minutes later while I was trying to find a safe place to stop. A company mechanic was sent out and replaced the fuel filter, looked everything over and gave me the okay. It was fine until the next day and happened twice more in the same manner. All of this has been communicated through proper channels and documented on the Qualcomm. Breakdown dept. advised me to roll the dice and get back on the road since the truck wasn't actively throwing the stop engine signal while parked. They also threatened to make me pay any associated shop bills in the event that nothing wrong was found. I've told them my obvious safety concerns.

What are the legalities here? Can they legally charge me and advise me to run the truck? Advice would be nice. Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. HiLoSapien

HiLoSapien Light Load Member

Mar 1, 2017
    I know what I'd do. Put out triangles, take pictures of the Qualcomm communications, tell them to call a wrecker for their POS, make my own arrangements to get home, report them to DOT for "rolling the dice" with public safety, and look for another job. Laugh at their threats.

4. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    You have bad fuel, or algae in your tanks.

Getting past that, I'd take the truck back to the terminal as soon as possible, and find another place to work.

Don't do it under load, wait until your empty. Ask to be routed back to the terminal.

Mike2633 and JReding Thank this.
  5. Massey999

Massey999 Bobtail Member

Apr 4, 2017
    I've told them I'm not moving the truck. Supposed to be going to a shop in the morning. I'm wondering mostly if it's legal to charge me. If nothing is found due to incompetence or something else. I won't be here much longer thats for sure.

Mike2633 Thanks this.
  6. Massey999

Massey999 Bobtail Member

Apr 4, 2017
    That's pretty much the plan at this point. Might let em pay for my hotel and kick back for a few days first though

bzinger Thanks this.
  7. tk40176

tk40176 Light Load Member

Apr 8, 2010
    Brooklyn, NY
    Unless it was deliberate damage by you and they have proof. No. Bad fuel, bad fuel line, etc...Not your fault.

Mike2633, bzinger and Massey999 Thank this.
  8. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    deleted wrong thread

9. Raezzor

Raezzor Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Aug 1, 2009
    Columbus, OH
    Their truck, their responsibility to fix and maintain it. If they try to say it was your fault and deduct pay get in touch with the labor board in your state and an attorney. They'll have to prove in court the damage was your fault. Otherwise they are responsible. Unless, of course, you signed a contract to the contrary.

Massey999 Thanks this.
  10. austinmike

austinmike Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2011
    Missouri
    Ask em if they ever tried to get blood out of a turnip.

Broke Down 69 Thanks this.
  11. Rocknroller4

Rocknroller4 Road Train Member

Nov 25, 2015
    I hope this isn't a mega company telling you to roll the dice.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.