Can a "felon" get a break?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by paradimethyl, Dec 3, 2008.

1. dynosaur

dynosaur Light Load Member

Jan 3, 2009
    San Francisco, CA
    I have to say that I have a distinct recollection of apps that ask, "Have you ever been convicted of a felony in the last seven years." But, while it sounds as though you have the credentials to make the statements you have made regarding convictions; it seems that this is a classic "stuck between a rock and a hard place" kinda' deal, because failure/refusal to answer, "Have you ever been convicted of a felony?" is an implicit admission of fact.

Drivers, for whom past convictions are a concern, should look into obtaining a Certificate of Rehabilitation. Other options are Pardons and Expungments. Over the years I have acquired a considerable amount of information regarding the above; unfortunately, States handle these matters in a variety of ways. If there's an interest in the various approaches I would be happy to share what I have.

Lastly, I have never been asked, "Have you ever been convicted of a crime?" The question calls for a conclusion on your part. You are being asked if your violation was criminal in nature. Not all code violations are made with criminal intent. Is speeding a crime? Well, speeding and a number of other traffic violations, often are cited as violations of the Penal Code rather than Vehicle Code. To say the least, these are thorny issues. But, if you have convictions, you owe it, not only to yourself, but to those who are dependent upon you, to be fully informed of the legal issues and the impact it has on your employment. It's not to avoid responsibility for past indiscretions; but to see that you are not unduly held to account for them. And, be discriminating in the sources from which you draw your information. Rely on publications, code citations, etc. NOT, on opinion. Just because I can provide you with endless advice on how to get into trouble doesn't mean I can tell you how to get out of trouble.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. threetimesacharm

threetimesacharm Bobtail Member

Aug 23, 2010
    virginia
    Whew! I can't believe i read the whoooole thing! Great thread and many good points!

4. we4redheads

we4redheads Bobtail Member

Aug 1, 2010

Using this reasoning.. whether it's a misdemeanor ticket for possession of reefer.. or murder.. all sentences should be life sentences. That attitude is one of the major contributors to the recidivism rate in the U.S. Ask yourself this, how many times have you(in any vehicle) went over the speed limit? Every time you did you BROKE THE LAW. How many times have you gotten behind the wheel a little buzzed? Even if it was eons ago? Every time you did.. yep.. you guessed it.. YOU BROKE THE LAW. Fail to signal a turn or a lane-change. Broke the law of most states. Get 20 miles down the road and figure out that the convenient store clerk gave you back 35 cents in change too much. You broke the law. True.. you might not have a felony on your record or a stack of misdemeanors; but, how many times have you broken the law in some minor inconsequential way? He that is faithful in what is little will be faithful in what is great. The reverse of that is true too. Just that the urge and the opportunity have never coincided.

It's attitudes like the above-posted attitude that continue to keep people down that may, otherwise, be as hard-working as any other person.

For my money, I've found ex-cons(the ones who WANT to rehabilitate) are usually twice the workers as any others you'll find. It comes from having that eternal noose of a felony record hanging around your neck for the rest of your life. It, also, helps them be a bit more understanding with other people's shortcomings and difficulties.

Let's just hope that someone you're close to or depend on ever winds up in jail for anything. The time they do, I feel your attitude will change rapidly.

5. bigrigjones

bigrigjones Light Load Member

Dec 18, 2010
    southern cali
    I dont have a class A yet, but have been on many company websites and seems I mostly see felonies that are fairly old (5 years, 7 years, or 10 years) are ok.

6. o.m.d.

o.m.d. Heavy Load Member

Aug 15, 2010
    massachusetts
    was that the guy that showed up in a company truck!!? hahahahahahahaha

7. Injun

Injun Road Train Member

May 15, 2010
    West o' the Big Crick
    The guy who showed up on that show in the company truck was a Covenant driver.

8. dinosaur

dinosaur Bobtail Member

Sep 23, 2010
    Kentucky
    First of all let me say I'm sorry for weighing in so late on this thread. But it interests me none the less given that I too am a convicted felon (1976). I really just wanted to clear up one thing that was stated earlier about a federal law making it illegal to ask about the convictions after 7 and 10 years. There is no federal law concerning this, it's mostly handled at the state level and every state has different rules. A good place to look for info is workplacefairness dot org. The only federal law that applies to anything in this discussion is the Fair Credit Reporting Act. All it says basically is that they must provide notice when accessing your records and that you have to give them permission during the application process to access those records. Not trying to step on any toes.

9. o.m.d.

o.m.d. Heavy Load Member

Aug 15, 2010
    massachusetts
    i remember that like it was yesterday. the guy wasnt even remotely shook or anything if i remember right :biggrin_25523:

10. jtx87

jtx87 Bobtail Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Killeen, Texas
    Anyone have any experience or knowledge about Deferred Adjudicated Felonies? I'm in Texas on Deferred Adjudicated probation looking at trying to go to truck driving school once I get off of probation. Not quite sure how it will look on my record after probation, I'm not convicted, never went to prison. As far as I know I have to wait 10 years to get it expunged, but I could be wrong. I have had multiple companies and other drivers trying to tell me that I am a convicted felon, which doesn't make sense considering that I registered to vote while on probation, I have jury duty next month and I can still purchase a firearm. Anyone have any info or advice?

11. lostNfound

lostNfound Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2007
    Home of the Stampede
    Don't seek advice on complex legal matters that have an impact on your ability to secure gainful employment on a trucker's forum.

And try Google... it is a wonderful thing.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.