Can a shipper/receiver force you to wear ppe?

Discussion in 'Shippers & Receivers - Good or Bad' started by Nate21, Oct 27, 2022.

1. roundhouse

roundhouse Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2018
    No glove - no love …..

JoeyJunk Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. UItraman

UItraman Bobtail Member

Oct 25, 2022
    No they can't. You're a grown man right?

I had a guy come up to me (maybe a safety guy idk) and demand I put on a hardhat. I'm dropping a trailer in the middle of a lot and he's talking about a hardhat lol. I told him I'll be done in a minute. At which point he started throwing a fit. Which pissed me off. I simply told him I can drop this trailer here or out on the road. He walked away.

4. Lennythedriver

Lennythedriver Road Train Member

Feb 14, 2020
    Some places seem to have abandoned all common sense when it comes to the safety protocols. They have so many procedures and steps and crap….you gotta wear and stick on yourself and only turn this way or that way or do this or do that… it ends up being a safety hazard in of itself. It’s like let me safely operate the truck like I know how to do, backing into your dock, and get the hell out of here. Everything else is just nonsense. I know how to walk around big trucks without getting ran over. Trust me

5. Knightcrawler

Knightcrawler Heavy Load Member

Apr 10, 2017
    Mpls, Mn
    I got into this place once and they wanted me to put a hard hat on.

Me: Why?
    Them: Its the rules.
    Me: I dont have one.
    Them: We have loaners.
    Me: Im not wearing someone elses head lice.
    Them: Well you have to have it to be in here.
    Me: But Im not going to BE IN THERE.
    Them: Oh... Yeah...

Another one of their "rules" was no non-company people on the dock, so WTF was the fuss about the hard hat?

6. dngrous_dime

dngrous_dime Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2014
    Lansing area, MI
    About as stupid as COVID rules about wearing a mask. In my own truck. Alone.

7. Tall Mike

Tall Mike Road Train Member

Aug 20, 2014
    New York
    They can't force you to do anything..

They can refuse to unload you and call your company creating a lot of problems if you do not comply.

8. drivingmissdaisy

drivingmissdaisy Road Train Member

Jun 10, 2019
    Unfortunately you are on their property, they can make the rules.

It's just the ones that require you to wear long sleeves and long pants and its like 106 outside with a heat index of 115. I've told them I refuse to put myself into a position where I could pass out due to the heat and having to wear all this clothing will almost certainly put me into that position. Just ask them to sign a document stating that they will pay for all of your medical bills if you pass out due to being overdressed for the temp. When they refuse tell them load you or you leave.

They need you to haul their stuff. You can always find another load.

But more than PPE, I have a hard time surrendering my ID to these wombats that work in these shipping offices. I hold my license tell them they can write down anything off of it that they need, but I'm not releasing it from my possession to anyone who isn't law enforcement. That they CANNOT make you do.

Gearjammin' Penguin Thanks this.
  9. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    This I agree with 100%. No one is making a copy of my drivers license. I won't even let them hold it in their hand. I have a TWIC and even though a few places have argued about it, they all ended up being ok with the TWIC. It is a Federal ID.

10. northstarfire0693

northstarfire0693 Heavy Load Member

Jul 1, 2006
    AZ
    Yes they can force you to have the PPE they require. They have every right to refuse to load/unload and ban you from the property. You have no dog in that fight. I agree that some of these places go overboard, however it's their rules. Nothing you can do about, just do what they want, get the load and head down the road.

11. Gearjammin' Penguin

Gearjammin' Penguin "Ride Fast-Truck Safe"

Feb 18, 2007
    Central AZ
    LOL wut? You think you can write me up? Dude, I don't work here.

JoeyJunk Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.