Can a trucker have protection in the sleeper?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Wickedchicken, Apr 9, 2021.

1. JoeyJunk

JoeyJunk Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2010
    Washington, PA
    Have you ever seen his codriver?

53BE0E56-BB77-4201-8BD5-4906B5AE30CA.jpeg

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. scott180

scott180 Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Tooele, UT
    Guy broke into my house.
    Pointed my red laser dot at his chest.
    I let the cat do the rest.

4. shooter19802003

shooter19802003 Road Train Member

Feb 8, 2010
    Idaho
  5. Final Drive

Final Drive Road Train Member

Jan 21, 2015
  6. zep1218

zep1218 Light Load Member

Oct 22, 2016
    Agawam
    Old reply here,just read a story about a uk trucker who got caught,with pepper spray in his truck during an inspection.maybe it was on cdllife but,anywho the judge threw him in jail for 18 Months!!! Absolutely no sympathy at all for this guy..apparently UK citizens aren’t allowed to have anything for self protection..smh

7. JoeyJunk

JoeyJunk Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2010
    Washington, PA
    Coming soon to the US if certain people get their way.

8. Final Drive

Jan 21, 2015
    I've met a couple of truckers from the UK there not too country..

God prefers Diesels and JoeyJunk Thank this.
  9. Final Drive

Jan 21, 2015
    FB_IMG_1621212412103.jpg

spindrift, Dave_in_AZ, Lpirtle and 4 others Thank this.
  10. RoadRager

RoadRager Bobtail Member

Oct 12, 2021
    I won't advise on the legality of the issue of perpetually transporting a firearm in the sleeper berth of a CMV. Plenty of other truckstop lawyers are willing to advise on that topic. But, I will offer a philosophy which kept me alive long enough for my hair to turn white(what's left of it, anyway):

I see these kids, from time-to-time, who like to take guns to fist-fights, and as much as I would advise anyone to avoid fist-fights(when possible), I'd likewise advise jumpy kids to keep it in their pants...or better yet, to leave it at home.

Carrying a firearm is a right constitutionally guaranteed to all Americans, but it isn't a duty. Remaining silent is also a constitutional right, but it's rarely invoked.

Similarly, if the right to keep and bare arms has any hope of being preserved, the fewer young men running around with guns stuffed down the front of their pants the better. I was young and stupid, once, too, but I was smart enough to NOT carry a gun, when I was out running around looking for trouble. If you can't act like everyone else is armed but you, you probably have the wrong temperament for carrying a gun.

Unarmed young men are more likely to use diplomacy to get out of trouble, and to use the sense God gave them to avoid it, in the first place.

Young guys who believe they can blast their way out of any trouble they get themselves into are far more likely to get themselves into trouble, and far more likely to create a tragedy(or three), in an effort to get out of the mess that better manners and common sense could have prevented. The fellla who said that an armed society was a polite society was referring to the knowledge that EVERYONE was armed, at all times, NOT to a society were only the young and stupid were armed, and in which others only discovered the fact when the armed youth got his sexually-confused girly-feelings hurt.

What I'm saying is that if there are places you wouldn't go and things you wouldn't do WITHOUT a gun, you probably shouldn't be going wherever and doing whatever WITH a gun. In fact, if you just really can't resist the impulse to go somewhere crazy and do something stupid, taking a gun on your ill-advised adventure will only end your tale with more tears than laughter, because whoever said that "comedy is tragedy plus time" neglected to mention that the above is only true if you didn't spend the intervening time in prison.

Having said ALLLLLLL that, the aphorism that "it's better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6" is often an excuse for not thinking things all the way through. It's a false choice. Eventually, we'll all be carried by 6, if we're lucky, assuming anyone attends our inevitable funerals. We don't all need to stand trial for murder, though.

However, I know where you're coming from. I mean, no-one wants to get stuck 2 thousand miles from home, when C19 morphs into the Zombie Apocalypse, under mass vaxx mandates, right? When civilization collapses, as it surely will, sooner than later, and law enforcement fails, and the NG collectively give Milley the center digit, and head home to take care of their own, you don't want to have to fight your way back home with nothing but a tire thumper. I get it.

Well, if you can't legally carry a firearm everywhere you run, you need to either stop running to all the Commie havens, like Cook County, NYC, NJ, Boston, DC, and the entire Left Coast, plus a bunch of other potential landmines less popularly known, or you need to get creative. You certainly don't want to end up in prison, or bankrupt your family trying to stay out of it, just because you ran afoul of the wrong local jurisdiction, or ran into the rare SJW LEO. So, what do you do?

Assuming your goal is just to be prepared for a true SHTF scenario, and not to go honkytonking across America, while packing heat, you might consider that the BATFE doesn't view airguns as firearms, and doesn't regulate them. So, that takes care of the Feds, anyway. Also, to the best of my knowledge(do your own research, of course) it is legal(for an adult) to possess an airgun in 47 of the contiguous 48, with Washington State being the only state to outlaw them. Of course, the more fruity jurisdictions want you to keep it stowed out of sight, and not to start making a nuisance of yourself by plicking in the truckstop parking lot, but they won't arrest you for having an unloaded one safely stowed away in your sleeper.

I realize that a BB gun may not be exactly what you were looking for, but there are airguns bored in .357, .45, and .50 cal, and legitimately used to hunt large game. Sure, they have severe limitations and disadvantages over firearms, and I wouldn't want to rely on one to dispatch a grizzly, but we're talking about a Zombie Apocalypse scenario, in which every man must now fend for himself. All you need from your airgun is to use it as a placeholder, to avoid wrongful imprisonment or bankruptcy, prior to the ZA, and to use it to successfully accomplish an upgrade, after the ZA kicks off. I'm sure you can get the drop on some well-armed scumbag marauding around looking for some poor victim to rape or rob, under the cover of the ensuing chaos. You will be doing his potential victims a favor by disarming him, and you'll now be in possession of probably a semi-auto firearm of respectable caliber, and enough ammo to either get home, or to effect another upgrade on the way there.

You might even decide to hold on to your airgun, too. After all, Lewis & Clark used one to hunt, while charting the Western Territory. So, they're probably not completely useless.

feldsforever and tarmadilo Thank this.
  11. scoobertdoo

scoobertdoo Road Train Member

Nov 11, 2020
    Yeah, I'll keep my large caliber firearm. Random attacks on truckers are rare but on the increase. I would rather have a gun fight and drive away. No one is going to give a #### about two dead bangers in Cicero to track you down.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.