Can anyone explain how to operate at 1.75 a mile and stay in business!?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by POWolfTrans, Aug 26, 2017.

1. brandonkinglv

brandonkinglv Bobtail Member

Aug 27, 2017

Yes sir I agree. And that works for you. I would assume that you are also sitting on a paid truck with 12k/year insurance. And you are also not driving for a 1.75/mile average. The reason for my post is that the OP's situation is completely different than your own.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Derailed

Derailed Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2008
    Upstate NY
    Congrats and enjoy those times. Blink of an eye and they're grown up although it may not seem it now

Lepton1 and JL of Indiana Thank this.
  4. Oscar the KW

Oscar the KW Going Tarpless

May 19, 2011
    Truck is not payed for, and my insurance is $10,000 a year. Maybe you missed that I said I still have three days left of my work week.

Let's throw some numbers around.

1.75 x 3800 = $6650

If I double my mileage this week that would be 2120 miles. If I can keep my average where it is now that would be $6826.40. Now I've grossed more than what you suggested, used much less fuel and considerably less wear and tear on my equipment.

What would you rather do? Miles are a company driver mentality.

Lepton1, rank and rollin coal Thank this.
  5. brandonkinglv

brandonkinglv Bobtail Member

Aug 27, 2017
    Numbers, I like 'em.

Your scenario : 2120 miles x 3.22 = $6826.40 = Perfect.

OP's scenario : 2120 miles x 1.75 (because he clearly states that he is capable of averaging 1.75/per mile) = $3,710

So what I'm trying to say is that since OP is capable of 1.75/mile, and he is asking how to survive, then the clear answer is that he needs to drive way more than you to approach a similar gross to yours (even with higher fuel and wear and tear costs).

Unfortunately neither you or I can teach this dude how to get 3.20/mile average, especially not over a forum. But we can answer his question as to "how to survive", which is what I attempted to do. Of course it is much better to drive less for a higher pay but since he is unable to get the rates you can, the only thing he can do is drive more instead of scratching his head as to why it isn't going well for him.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  6. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    Fundamentally it seems to be the need to hone negotiating skills and learning your lanes. @BoyWander seems to have done well in that regard. Posting your truck and receiving calls from brokers puts you in a more favorable negotiating position. Learning when to bounce to better locations is another thing you need to get a handle on.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.