Can anyone explain how to operate at 1.75 a mile and stay in business!?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by POWolfTrans, Aug 26, 2017.

1. Jasonar15

Jasonar15 Medium Load Member

Aug 6, 2017
    I have 2 trucks, my own numbers and my insurance is $29k and I have only had my CDL right at 2 years. My two drivers help bring it down due to they have many more years in a truck.

RStewart, JL of Indiana and Lepton1 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. JL of Indiana

JL of Indiana Light Load Member

Jul 14, 2017
    Yeah totally agree. Build your base slowly and broadly, then up from there like a pyramid shape. I see a lot of people do it just the opposite and it tips over and crashes quickly or eventually. Why do it at all if your eventually going to fail? Waste of time.

Anyway, 6 assets 2 owner op. Is that your truck in the pic I take it? Nice looking ride. I like the colors.

RStewart and Lepton1 Thank this.
  4. RStewart

RStewart Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2015
    Norman, OK
    That's awesome man. My hat's off to you.

Nah, that's my part time gig. It belongs to the University of Oklahoma. They hire me to team drive to games that are too long of a drive for the regular driver to make it to without taking a break.

JL of Indiana Thanks this.
  5. Ezrider_48501

Ezrider_48501 Road Train Member

Apr 2, 2011
    bismarck, nd
    im threw a local agent my policy is written by national casualty insurance

im not a new authority but i think when i started out i was at 10-12k for my first year and i was with progressive then shortly after my first year i needed to add a general liability policy and progressive didn't offer that in my area so i ended up with my current insurer

JL of Indiana and RStewart Thank this.
  6. Ruthless

Ruthless Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2010
    The City.
    Some of the numbers I see getting bragged on are exceptionally unimpressive.
    Get the rates you charge up, and the rates you pay down.
    Business is business: do the most you can with the least.

7. JL of Indiana

Jul 14, 2017
    You could technically be listed as an excluded driver and save a lot of money. That way they base only off your hired guns experience. Companies like Progressive always match up the highest risk driver with the most expensive truck, trailer, driving radius, and cargo.

Better yet if your married have your wife be the primary name on the insurance as far as a principle of the company. Then, as long as you drive only sporadically, you don't need to be listed at all. You would be within the grace period of adding someone. You could potentially save around $15,000 that way. Let your hired guys do what you hired them for. Stay outta the truck from here on out and focus on things like efficiency and growth.

Just saying... :]

Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
    nax and RStewart Thank this.
  8. Tug Toy

Tug Toy Road Train Member

Jul 4, 2015
    Corn field
    If you were talking about the numbers I posted earlier? It was NOT bragging in the least. Perty pathetic in hindsight. Was just pointing out that it was survivable in my circumstances. I was only paying attention to costs the first year. This year I am focusing mostly on revenue and trying to keep costs in check. I'm up significantly in my second year.

RStewart Thanks this.
  9. Jasonar15

Jasonar15 Medium Load Member

Aug 6, 2017
    I only drive when I have to. On the policy I am listed as owner/driver. But if I only have CDL and ain't listed on insurance, will I ever get experience so insurance will be lower with me added? Not sure how that works. I'm on the random drug program along with my drivers.

10. JL of Indiana

Jul 14, 2017
    Yeah, I would follow my guidance if I was you and save a lot of money. As far as your "experience level" no longer continuing to go up... that's fairly irrelevant in your case. As far as insurance is concerned it's always about how many years have you held your cdl. Only when applying for a driving job at another company, would this affect you technically because you weren't driving. However, this isn't a big deal at all considering how much you would save. Dont get too caught up on all of that bs IMO.

nax Thanks this.
  11. POWolfTrans

POWolfTrans Bobtail Member

Jul 29, 2017
    Thank you to whoever suggested taking the comprehensive off my policy, it really wasn't worth keeping so my policy is now down to $16,000 a year. Hopefully I don't wreck myself bankrupt or dead!

Lepton1 and BoyWander Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.