Can CDL truck drivers take lithium for bipolar disorder?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by kwhite46, Jun 9, 2011.

1. billyj57

billyj57 Bobtail Member

May 18, 2010
    muncie indiana
    If they have a problem with it, request what they call a break study, first you take your meds. and do the study. And if you pass there aint jack they can do legally. As for myself, I take 4 vic 10's a day, aderal for A.D.D and nuvigil for sleep apnea along with zoloft for the atitude thing and i did the study and scored 92%.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ronin

ronin Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    San Antonio, Texas
    "And if you pass there aint jack they can do legally"

Who is "they"? Because as an employer, I can hire someone who doesn't need 4 types of meds.

4. lostNfound

lostNfound Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2007
    Home of the Stampede
    You really should try reading for comprehension. Sabine never stated to not disclose what is asked and did not suggest being anything other than 100% truthful. In fact, Sabine specifically stated to disclose everything that is asked and that if the true and correct answer to a question is "yes", then "yes" it is and with all the required supporting documents and commentary. What Sabine did state, and what I happen to agree with, is if a question is not asked then that is not information which the company, or any other entity, is interested in nor entitled to.

5. hawkeye42799

hawkeye42799 Light Load Member

Jan 28, 2007
    iowa
    WHOOOOAAAAA

Back up the truck/bus or what ever cmv ya all drive.....I have mental health issues i will not go into but i drove a school bus for 4 years before i was seriously injured in car crash

i been on different kinds of medications for mental illness and as long i was up front with every doctor clinics ect and told them and NEVER I MEAN NEVER had a problem until my car wreck i just got back into a cmv in 2006

ok i will go back under my rock now

6. richieryan

richieryan Medium Load Member

Aug 3, 2011
    OKC,OK
    Some years ago, I was about to run out of my Wellbutrin (for depression) while on the road, so I had my wife pick it up and fedex it to the terminal so I could pick it up there. Somebody snooped and when the company saw what it was, they DQd me for medical and would not let me drive until my Doc faxed them a signed statement that he was no longer prescribing the Rx for me. My Doc thought they were quacks, citing that the Canadian Air Force lets their pilots fly on it.
    As long as you pass the physical, you are golden. Your medical records are none of the company's business. Anyone familiar with HIPAA? The part about mental illness/disorder only DQs a driver if it affects their ability to drive.

7. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007
    A valid medical long form contains ALL prescriptions. Ever wonder where this goes?

To your company.

They have a medical review officer that is required to review all information. Not a violation of HIPAA.

Next, failure to list all medications can lead to the voiding of your physical.

Especially important in any accident or legal proceeding.

8. richieryan

richieryan Medium Load Member

Aug 3, 2011
    OKC,OK
    I had to go get mine and I see you are right about listing the meds. What's the likely outcome if the Doc signs off on your physical, but the company fires you or decides you are disqualified from driving?

9. magnum force

magnum force Light Load Member

Jul 8, 2010
    Fort Worth Texas
    If you don,t take your blood pressure mediation you could have a heart attack and die. Break your reading glasses,lithium is a natural substance.Orange juice iron like zinc.

10. Cranky Yankee

Cranky Yankee Cranky old ######

Jan 31, 2012
    Green Bay Wi
    of course everyone is right about listing all your meds. What we tend to forget is all these meds are over prescibed today thinking a pill will fix anything 30 years ago no one took depression meds no one knew about bi polar you were just quirky or different. I have met a lot of DIFFERENT truck drivers some are not on meds that need them I am sure. My friend was taking excedrin pm for about a month to sleep better he was always tired mean spirited quit taking them and he was back to himself. He is still an ##### hole but not so tired and cranky :) You know you sober up a drunkin thief he is still a thief

11. magnum force

magnum force Light Load Member

Jul 8, 2010
    Fort Worth Texas
    Mineral wells Texas . Google it.there is a high amount of lithium in the water

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.