Can CDL truck drivers take lithium for bipolar disorder?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by kwhite46, Jun 9, 2011.

1. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Fullerblake31 isn't on medication!

Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. RedRover

RedRover Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2016
    Corsicana, TX
    Yes you can. Being bipolar isn't a death sentence. The question really should be will you ever stop taking said medication and mow down a bunch of kids at a school crossing.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  4. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I agree with this post quite a bit.

I could add a few more things but that is the number one fire bell thought that stands out for me. Law Enforcement sometimes take calls that such a such a person is gone off meds whatever they might be and have begun to act outside of the bounds of normal accepted behavior and require assistance.

From what little I know of the Lawmen, calls that related to someone being off meds are not calls they want to go on nor is a situation anyone needs to deal with because literally anything is possible.

I will say this. Grain of salt. Some medicines have a hold on humans when given and they are not given just because the shrink likes to give it. To be given some of these chemicals or compounds is to literally experience a form of handcuffing or a chopping away of certain brain based emotions, impulses or other really primal or basal instincts within the mind. They say there is a certain freedom in the mind if you are locked up physically you are still free mentally. These medicines, not all of them just a few have the power to go into the mind of a person and start to take away things that might be valued by that person, whatever it is.

To have a chemical going through your mind preventing you from exercising free thought in very basic ways you might enjoy or not enjoy when sick is a form of attack to those who have decided they like being sick and don't want the assault or help from doctors which is one of the reasons they might go off the meds. So they can get wild in certain ways.

It's really hard for me to type words in english converting from my langauge to describe what I am trying to show as a thought or concept here. Certain persons need to be on medicine because without them, they become a liability or even a threat to themselves, people who love them or even society at large.

It is fortunate for the 99% of us, there is no need for that kind of intervention in life with those powerful mental health drugs that are way way beyond lithium.

I have been exposed to children my age growing up in the dormatory in which they were either victims or actually predators in some form and some are given very powerful mental health medicines to control them so that they may participate in society without hurting people, breaking things or god forbid trying to take lives. There is a small number of these people that have gotten unstable for a variety of very good reasons and are totally and completely removed from our society, our school and are sent to secure institutions that Maryland possesses for the control and custody of those who no longer can function freely as we are. I can pull out a yearbook from my childhood with some of these individuals and tell you by name what happened to so and so and what year they were removed and sent away so that they don't have to hopefully worry about the problems that pushed them over the edge ever again.

Ive said enough. Medicines do help quite a bit for those who require it and when it's the correct medicine. However there is a small percentage of these people who refused to take that kind of help because again it is a form of control they cannot accept for a variety of reasons we as a society cannot accept. Which is why when a call goes out on someone going off their meds, you cannot ever know what is going to happen when you find this person and it's a very powerful motivation to make sure NOTHING bad happens today.

5. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    This is one of those threads that make me want to just go outside and kick something. The fricking FMCSA has already IN CLEAR LANGUAGE told anyone how to do this. People need to stop asking truck stop know it all's and take your prescriptions to a FMCSA registered medical examiner AND DO WHAT THE FRICKING ME TELLS YOU! If your OK great, if not either stop taking the medication or get the hell out of trucking!

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  6. CoThG

CoThG Bobtail Member

Jul 4, 2016
    Maybe. Maybe not.

7. toots2018

toots2018 Bobtail Member

Mar 1, 2018
    Washington State
    Amen Preach it sister!!!!

8. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    :downtown:

9. Kazz81

Kazz81 Bobtail Member

Jun 21, 2018
    Been drivin commercial for over 6 yrs with bi-polar manic-depression. Havent lost my whits, killed anyone or screwed a load or company over it. Been through half the u.s. with sevral companies that held me in high esteem. Diagnosed in 1994 .Yeah!
    So to all ya ##### judging a man for what he is and not the capabilities of the individual,...there are more like me out here. Were not gonna be on iur sides in a ditch or smash that bus of nuns at any greater rate than the rest of ya.
    See ya out there.
    P.S. i viseted this sight for advice and enlightenment. For those that dont understand, i hope you will someday.
    All the others, Thanx Brothers.
    We're in it together.

bottomdumpin Thanks this.
  10. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I'll say one thought.

In recent weeks there has been people new to these forums possibly for the express purpose of throwing the weaponized word "Judging" and combined with Plurality of the Community of Truckers on TTR in general in some form of either a observation, complaint or semi-RANT or other well assembled post.

There are times I wonder (Not anyone specifically right now right here or anywhere) that there is a possibility of reporting a thread for using what I consider weaponized words in writing designed to possibly hurt feelings in a indirect roundabout way but not a open outright attack that would certainly cause the Mods to deal with the problem in a variety of ways while chopping out the problem post all together.

I would like to think that we live in a Free Country here in America. However constant following of debates, law making and other actions since 9-11 reveals that nothing is further than the truth in my one lone opinion. In my home, there is America. Therefore, when you visit my home you are free within limits, house rules and other considerations to enjoy life where possible. But at the same time you are NOT that free. There are limits to what a Guest in my home might be allowed to do.

With that said.

I remind everyone that I have had some big time exposure to mental health type schooling situations way back in the 60's which at that time is incredibly restrictive. I am actually working on a virtual project to examine Belair maryland using old documents from such a school. Within that school is three floors of class rooms. Wide stairwells. There were dozens if not hundreds of children my age or give or take a range of ages. ALL were there because they cannot or will not be accomondated by what we called normal school where all other people were sent to on normal school buses without any kind of medical aides etc.

We found outselves constantly rushed every 10 minutes from class to class, preferably opposite floors and wings creating what I call a classic livestock stampede with a very high eneergry output in movement until we arrive at the next classroom pretty much wiped out. Crutches, walkers, wheelchairs and so on, all would arrive on time. Even those who were not born as babies with beautiful human correct things have to overcome their limitations to climb three floors and fight two wings to get a seat at the furthest possible classroom on time.

I pulled a teacher aside and used nice big words in full sentances that I am not like these people and will not accept anymore being stampeded like round up cattle only to sit on a hard metal bench resting and breathing out just enough to do it again in another 10 minutes while learning nothing on purpose. Who do these teachers dare to think they are when they teach nothing through strict exhausting a normally limitless energy of boys and girls every 10 minutes. They behave as zombies because they are sick and tired o fit. Who do they they are daring to call themselves a formal school.

My teacher stood there at me. I had used my grandmother's home schooling to deliver my thoughts in both spoken (Really badly I might add) and using CURSIVE WRITING on paper to make my position clear. That kind of writing came from home schooling via my grandmother like maybe a decade before anyone is expected to even engage in that kind of learning. The written word pretty much instantly bought me my freedom from that hell hole school.

The State sent me to another school down the block to evaluate me formally to see where I am with education. By this time I was 6 years old, had the ability of a two year old and badly losing progress against other kids at 6 years old. They were beginning to consider committing me as a ward to Springfield to the west of the state which is essentially 3 layers worth of magnetized doors that prevents freedom and ability to do what you want in life. One doctor in particular realized that I am deaf and everything else was on mentally. Just deaf. Johns Hopkins conformed that really fast downtown.

Once I got hearing aids my education took off and in time exceeded even those my age going into what I would call 4th grade. After Maryland built Columbia School for the deaf next to highway 100, about 64 of us deaf made up the first class of 73. and around 70+ occupied special quarters across campus because they were never to live a normal life. They wont get married, have cars, wont have homes to buy etc. Many already had finanical resources and people to take care of them forever and ever.

THANKFULLY most of them had enough intelligence to understand that they will always be limited. Some are even working under rules not to touch girls or vice versa. (We all know where touching leads to without supervision in a hurry...) But very few made the effort to break free.

I am one of a few or a percentage of that original class to have actually dared to break free and make a life for myself. It's not much a life going OTR. But it was my life, my freedom and depending on what payroll did that week, my chance to enjoy a steak and fries meal which for me at that time in life was a form of fuel to very physical work unloading a tractor trailer.

To be told who am I to judge something? When I have been constantly evaluated and judged by staffers most of my life? Who are you to dare to ask ME that kind of question? I say this in a friendly way with a smile. In any other context it would be a display of aggression for which the mods would more than be happy to simply end it.

We don't judge something online posted to TTR. But what we DO is throw rotten tomatoes, Yell BS, toss popcorn or in general soemtimes simply post a careful position and tear up the entire situation with words like a Cross examining Prosector destroying any possible defense that is being offered in the Courthouse.

But to judge or be judged? After what I have seen of a people who will NEVER live free in America? They would be handed a make work job in a workshop. Maybe breaking big rocks into little rocks in form of folding envelopes under contract with the state that requires 10,000 folded envelopes per week.

I don't know about you or anyone. But in them days to be trapped in a workshop folding envelopes is a form of death warmed over. You are not taught anything, you are not allowed to speak to or touch anyone of the opposite gender nor were you allowed to share stories about that day's happenings with those classmates who are literally capable of holding a converstation. The rest who are less bright will be given a sort of a peaceful time until the bell rings because folding a envelope is something that is simply too much for them. How many times have they broken down and cried due to the stress of learning how to seal envelopes is beyond remembering. Sometimes a form of what we call today "Halidol" needles come out and used against these people if they did get violent.

It's a wonder I managed to escape such a hell hole with what I like to think most of my marbles intact and ready to take on the Deaf Community and later the Public school community. Never mind the Trucking Community that will come later once I get kicked out by the State from schooling and told bye bye. Good luck with your life.

Judging? HA. If I really want to judge people making a post I'll be all over it. But I generally keep that to myself.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.