Can DOT Highway patrols search your truck

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Landstar2206, Jun 5, 2010.

1. Brickman

Brickman Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 17, 2006
    WY

I've had about 2 different drivers tell me that their response when asked if they can search their truck is....

"Sure, go ahead. But be forewarned I have AIDS and if you catch it from some thing in the truck its not my fault."
    According to them its gotten them off the hook every time.

Adieu Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. phroziac

phroziac Road Train Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Gary, IN
    hahahaahahahahahahahahahaha

4. last 1

last 1 Medium Load Member

Nov 29, 2009
    :biggrin_2556::biggrin_25523::biggrin_25524:

5. Strada

Strada Bobtail Member

Feb 27, 2010
    Lakewood, wa
    That would only work on someone who was really ignorant about HIV/AIDS. I am a healthcare worker now and a properly trained person contracting HIV from an inanimate object doing a search is virtually impossible.

joshuapowell61 and Adieu Thank this.
  6. Brickman

Brickman Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 17, 2006
    WY

Most of us know that, but would be unwilling to take a chance when given a choice.

7. krash13ss

krash13ss Light Load Member

Nov 12, 2008
    shady point ok.
    inspected -yes searched-no That being said I get searched on a regular basis as I haul a lot of military vehicles,but that is my choice.Nothing I signed for my cdl gave away my rights as a citizen of this country.Probable cause is not having a cdl on my liscense.Most leos understand we are not criminals just because we drive a truck.I think the few bad apples that want to push their authority past reasonable will not have a long career.

8. truckerdave1970

truckerdave1970 On Probation

Dec 15, 2008
    Rochester, NY
    Let me answer the original question with another question.

If you're being robbed at gunpoint, would you argue with a man holding a gun or would you do exactly as you were told???

In case you forgot, all police officers carry guns AND A BADGE To back it up with! I don't think arguing with them would be very advantageous!

joshuapowell61 Thanks this.
  9. dieselbear

dieselbear Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2008

Dave,

In a way I agree, don't argue with them on the side of the road. That's what courts are for. That is why in this country we have the court system to hear both sides. I don't argue with people on the side of the road, if you do, as a LEO, your only asking for a complaint. As a citizen, and yes before I was a LEO I was a regular citizen as well that didn't understand the whole legal system, by argueing you're not helping your cause. Then if you get a overzealous LEO it could escalate into something. I know when I was 18, I had a local LEO stop me for my exhaust on my truck being loud. It was legal, had the cats and mufflers but it was louder than factory exhaust. This local who is no longer a LEO, was a middle age guy with an attitude towards the younger crowd. He says he stopped me for "loud exhaust" and speeding. Well being a LEO in the same State now, I have yet to find "loud exhaust". There is one for driving a vehicle to cause excessive noise. Which is when your ripping and slamming the gas to the floor to make your exhaust sing to you. He then told me I was speeding and he clocked me for 35 in a 25. However back then there was no laser, so that was out of the window. He was driving towards the road I was on, imagine a T intersection in a 25 mile zone. I was passing on the road in front of him, he was driving up to the stop sign to make a left and to get behind me. At best I was 20 mph when I seen him and kept it right there, because the barney fife's in my hometown we notorious for busting young folks. And now knowing how radar works, he was full of sheet about the speed as well. So he stops me. Reads me the riot act about my truck. After paying $300, and back in the early 90's that was a lot of dough for me, he had pi$ $ ed me off. SO I fired back about how stupid he was and didn't understand a #### exhaust sytem and the requirements they needed. Then the guy gets on his knees and starts yanking on my exhaust pipes, which came straight out the back. I'm watching this idiot, next thing I know he breaks my exhaust hanger and my right side pipe falls down about 4 inches and is now rattling with the motor running. He gets up and says see right there, it's broke. I said no sheet with you grabbing it. It was fine as long as you would not have yanked it. My best friend was with me that night and we were both watching him, and a new trainee he was training. I know that trainee pretty well now and he is a pretty good guy, he left that dept. and went to a much larger agency and is doing well for himself. So barney gives me a fix it ticket on my exhaust and a warning for speed. I took it and the next morning went up and met with the chief, who I knew my whole life. He was a retired Trooper that knew my folks from when they were kids. He knew my best friend and his folks as well. This place is really like Mayberry. He went and talk to my best friend, got the same story from him. Talked to the trainee, who told the same story. Then got to the guy that broke my hanger. Wasn't quite the same story. In the end, he paid to fix my truck and the fix it ticket went away. So I guess the moral of the story is don't argue on the side of the road, a place to argue is a court of law. Looking back, I guess when I first argued with him about it, it pi $ $ ed him off, then he was looking to find something.

I tell folks now that as soon as I stop them and they become confrontational that I am not argueing with you. Too old to argue and get my blood pressure up. Plus It will put me in a bad mood the rest of the day. So if you want to argue, fold down your rearview mirror and you can sit here and argue with yourself all day long. In the meantime I'll be right back. 99.9% of the time that calms them down, the other .1% it
    pi $$ es them off even more. You can't please everyone as I have learned over the years.

10. truckerdave1970

truckerdave1970 On Probation

Dec 15, 2008
    Rochester, NY
    You're right, DB! I should've added Go to court if you want to argue. Of course the odds in court Are stacked against you to! I don't mean that in a derogatory or negative way. Let's be honest, the overwhelming majority of police officers are hard working honest professionals. I am quite certain that they are aware of how much a tickets costs and what it will do to a person's driving record/insurance/job. So when they issue a ticket they know the person is guilty. I know i have never received a ticket i did not deserve. As a matter of fact, i have been stopped several times and did not get the tickets I had earned!

11. wheel time

wheel time Bobtail Member

Dec 24, 2007
    near madison,wi.
    only federal dot can search your bunk. any others can look inside the bunk but can not open cabinits coolers etc

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.