Can DOT Highway patrols search your truck

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Landstar2206, Jun 5, 2010.

1. Ramblin' Redneck

Ramblin' Redneck Medium Load Member

Apr 18, 2010
    So.IL
    Sounds stupid, but yeah, they are a required piece of equipment for sleeper berths. Most cops won't ask you to see them...but if you are being ignorant, and they either think you may be hiding something but don't have enough to legally justify the hunch yet or if they want to bust your balls for being such an ##### to them, they can check to be sure they are installed.

That's probably why they've never asked you if they can check them...smart enough not to get mouthy on the side of the road:biggrin_25523:.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. springbrake

springbrake Light Load Member

Mar 13, 2010

They can't shoot you for being overweight, can they?:biggrin_25523:

4. springbrake

Mar 13, 2010

Funny you mention that, a guy in my class mentioned said he had landed a job working for an O/O hauling meat to Texas.:biggrin_2556:

5. springbrake

Mar 13, 2010

You get there ahead of schedule.:biggrin_25525:

6. rich_t

rich_t Road Train Member

May 28, 2009
    United States
    Not yet anyway.

:biggrin_25523:

7. Working Class Patriot

Working Class Patriot Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2008
    Wherever and Whenever...
    Not over-grossed...Some DOT think spreads are legal to 17K per axle like Tandems....That's an on going problem I have in CO.....And the fact they think their scales are more accurate than a CAT scale....:biggrin_2556:

8. dieselbear

dieselbear Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2008
    Basically there is three ways for a search. 1) Probable cause, i.e. smell marijuana, or a drug detection K-9, 2) consent search or 3) a search warrant signed by a judge. This isn't as complicated as some folks make it. I know for me, I don't get my rocks off searching a truck or any vehicle, never have. Yes, I have searched. Yes I have found lots of contraband. But you can not imagine some of the sheet I have found when searching vehicles, and I'm not talking contraband.

9. Brickman

Brickman Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 17, 2006
    WY
    One time in NM I had the NM DOT ask to search my truck.

I told them to knock themselves out that they were wasting my time and theirs.
    They didn't listen.
    After 45 mins of looking they admitted defeat and told me to get lost.
    My parting shot was..... "I TOLD YOU SO". They didn't think that was nearly as funny as I did.
    I really had no choice in getting searched.
    The big boy told me that if I said no they were going to go get a search warrant.
    There by wasting even more of my time.

10. Brickman

Brickman Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 17, 2006
    WY

I'd give the proverbial left nut to be able to go back 10-12 yrs and relive my 20s again.
    Knowing what I know now I'd be in a much different position financially.

Now that I'm older/wiser about money I do not have any where close to the flow that I had back then. Now most days seem like a very strong rat race just to survive from one day to the next.

11. Ramblin' Redneck

Ramblin' Redneck Medium Load Member

Apr 18, 2010
    So.IL
    I would have called his bluff and had him get the warrant. A judge won't sign off on a warrant without probable cause that a crime is either being committed or has been committed and is in the process of being covered up...and if he had enough probable cause to justify a warrant, he would be able to do the search against your wishes and without the warrant.

Just sayin'.:biggrin_25525:

joshuapowell61 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.