Can I be an O/O part time?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by EthanStorm, Sep 10, 2018.

1. Doing_flatbed_nc

Doing_flatbed_nc Medium Load Member

Mar 3, 2016
    Yes. If you can buy a truck and trailer and your insurance is reasonable, you can make you own schedule.

When the truck wheels are not turning, they are also not racking up mechanical problems or costing fuel.

When I first got my MC authority, I panicked bc I thought I had to run 5 days/ week. That's just not the case.

All I have to do is run enough to pay my insurance and justify all the taxes associated with the MC and owning a truck and have enough to put toward maintenance and to pay myself.

After 6 months or more running your truck under your authority, seal the deal with direct shippers and learn the backhauls that work for you.

It takes time to figure out what will work and you have to wade through a bunch of bad brokers but you'll get there.

And it beats the hell out of leading on with a company that will expect you to be an employee. Nope. Do it on your own.

Dino soar and HopeOverMope Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. HopeOverMope

HopeOverMope Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2016
    I-20 LOUISIANA
    pretty much what @Doing_flatbed_nc said! It usually is tough to start like that. But with a paid for truck n trailer and low enough insurance you can just build a routine that works for your goals. Work a week and a half, take off 2-4 weeks. Maybe work a month straight when your market is hot and take off the next month. Work a week and half on, a week n a half off until winter, and take three months off.

4. Truckers Report Jobs

5. 6wheeler

6wheeler Road Train Member

Aug 30, 2009
    I work 3 days a week. Never over 250 miles 1 way. Tuesday Wednesday Thursday. 13 hours a day. I don't get a head but I keep everything paid for.

6. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    You really have two ways to do that.

You could lease onto a company like Mercer that really doesn't care how much you work or don't work. You have to pay whatever your insurance and their fees are, have money for your tags and repairs etcetera but you pretty much can work whenever you want.

Or you can get your Authority and do the same thing with brokers. It's just more expensive with your own authority.

As far as local work goes, if you live somewhere near a metro area you probably can run short Freight or containers.

I would definitely avoid a day cab. A sleeper truck is just so much more comfortable, rides better, and you have more room for your things. And if occasionally you want to stay out overnight it's comfortable.

DougA and NavigatorWife Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs