Can I drive in Australia with a USA CDL License? And How long?

Discussion in 'Australian Truckers Forum' started by GlobeTruck, Jan 30, 2012.

  1. GlobeTruck

    GlobeTruck Bobtail Member

    Jan 30, 2012
    Aloha, In Hawaii I have a class A License which allows me to drive a semi tractor trailer. With Air Brakes a tripple trailer and tanker end. I am wondering if I can drive truck for work in Australia and if so How long can I drive here on it?

    Id like to find some work while I am here but I can not seem to find out if I can drive truck on my US CDL. I know I can drive up to 6 months on the standard License. Most work Visas are 12 Months so I assume you can drive for 12 months on our US CDL?

    Thank you very much!!
  2. misterG

    misterG Road Train Member

    Jan 21, 2009
    ask my dispatcher
  3. Blackadder47

    Blackadder47 Medium Load Member

    Apr 17, 2010
    Eugene, Or

    Getting the license would probably be the easy part, getting the work permit, that's another matter entirely.
  4. CondoCruiser

    CondoCruiser The Legend

    Apr 18, 2010
    I think you can get more answers down in the Aussie forum. We'll move the thread down there and see.

    I think it was answered before. I'll see if I can find the thread.
  5. 3tooz

    3tooz Bobtail Member

    Aug 19, 2012
    I have a similar question as what started this thread. We are a family of 3 immigrating to WA on a 176 state sponsorship permanent residency visa. Plan to arrive in November 2012 and putting together plans for my hubby to find work. He has 14 years CDL experience 5 years OTR and 9 years driver truckntrailer fuel tankers, so he has a CDL Hazmat tanker/doubles endorsement currently here in California. What will he be required to do to get a heavy duty license in WA considering he has so much experience? I have been on the transport website for WA but it just says a written test and driving test but onlyafter having a regular driving license for 3 years????? and even then only a heavy duty learner's permit? is there someway to get his CDL to transfer over? Any help much appreciated. (btw he is not interested in working in the mines where they are easier on the licenses but instead wants to work in Perth or surrounds)
  6. keepntruckin

    keepntruckin Light Load Member

    Dec 27, 2011
    if you acquire an International Drivers License you can drive in any country except the country of issue,, and it covers ALL vehicles and weight classes, even if you don't have a CDL from your country.
  • Draft saved Draft deleted