Can i get a job after 6+ months off

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Southtxhauler420, Jan 18, 2020.

1. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    @bryan21384 - do you drive for Climate Express? If so, fix the Op with a good job.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. brian991219

brian991219 Road Train Member

Aug 10, 2013
    Lords Valley, PA
    They are being cheap, not picky. Just think about it, 25k miles at training rate instead of full 2 year experienced driver rate.

4. brian991219

brian991219 Road Train Member

Aug 10, 2013
    Lords Valley, PA
    Nope, no regulation requires recent experience. As long as the past three years can be fully accounted for, and then 7 more if related to trucking (total of 10 years) then he is all set.

It is all company policy, typically dictated by either an over zealous safety critter as you like to call them, an insurance stipulation or combination of the two.

To the OP, aim higher, much higher, than Prime or any of the typical OTR mega fleets. If OTR is something you want to do there are many great companies out there. If not, have you thought about vocational driving like car haul or even LTL freight? Both of those pay exceptionally well and most of those companies do not have any ridiculous rules like retraining after 6 months off.

TripleSix Thanks this.
  5. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    I really wish when someone makes such a post that they would link to more information that backs up the comment. None of us know it all and there are times when the majority in these boards can be wrong. This way the entire forum can maybe learn something. I have had several things I was mistaken about cleared up because someone did this. It's not wrong to have ignorance about a subject, it's only wrong when you continue to stay willfully ignorant!

I won't be so open as to say don't post otherwise, but honestly, if a person were to post a link at least their information could be examined.

brian991219 and Ubu Thank this.
  6. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    Yeah I'll talk to OP. A guy in my orientation class was out of a truck for 4 years and he got hired on

7. Ubu

Ubu Road Train Member

Aug 25, 2012
    Rumored to be somewhere
    I couldn’t agree more. I usually try to link to the FMCSA site or other authoritative sites when discussing those types of topics.

I couldn’t help noticing other miss information in this thread as I know a few Prime drivers and their trucks are not governed at 54 mph. They are set to 62 mph for company drivers and 65 for lease op’s but you see the same nonsense posted over and over again.

brian991219 Thanks this.
  8. sirhwy

sirhwy Medium Load Member

Sep 1, 2011
    Central Iowa
    well, I don’t know. I had to commit to 3 weeks out, sounds like they have a delivery customer in Nashville, then a head haul out of Louisville, KY, so would be a bit of a bounce for me to get rolling again. Best thing to do would be call and ask if they would hire from a particular area, thats what I did.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  9. Eggroll'n Trucker

Eggroll'n Trucker Light Load Member

Feb 17, 2018
    May Trucking would definitely take him and put him straight in a truck

smokey12 Thanks this.
  10. Espressolane

Espressolane Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Just south of the north 40
    what does this mean? Can any one decipher this.
    Is omggg a word? What about yur? I know what a Yurt is, but not a yur. Is it some form of baby yak? What is the legal problem? Should a lawyer be contacted? This is just way more than one post can deal with.

Numb and TripleSix Thank this.
  11. VA CDL Holder

VA CDL Holder Medium Load Member

Jun 14, 2011
    I started with Swift in 2013, went through their program and everything. I quickly realized that the "lifestyle" of trucking was not for me for an extended amount of time. I do it for 4, 5 or 6 months tops and I resign. I then come back in 3, 4 or 6 months and drive again, for the megas of course because I wouldn't put a small guy through the hassle of hiring me. I've been doing this since 2013 and I have exactly 36 months experience since 2013, but there are people who say it doesn't count, people on this board. Of course, I would say they a full of ####, but it is what it is. I've driven for 3 companies and if they give me any crap, about any of it they can kiss off. I know how to run a truck and I get my miles.

Anyway, I have a clean record and no accidents. I've done flatbed, van and reefer. I've gone out with a trainer a few times, Swift, but only for a few days or a week and then I get a tractor and I'm solo.

There's more to life than driving and life does get in the way sometimes. This time around, which is just a few weeks away, maybe I'll get them to pay for a TWIC card and hazmat too.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.