Can I load this way?

Discussion in 'Heavy Haul Trucking Forum' started by Dino soar, Apr 27, 2024.

1. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    What we're trying to do is see if there's a way if I can use blocks to drive the hd5 further to the back of the trailer to fit another machine in front.

If we can't that's perfectly fine I just want to make sure that we're legal and safe whatever we do.

So we were thinking about getting 8x8s that are the width of the trailer and running the hd5 up over them and then using dunnage for the bucket but the tracks would be about another two feet or so further back than where they are in the photo.

So I guess basically I'm asking if it's legal to run the machine up on an 8x8 that runs the width of the trailer like I said and then block up the bucket.

Or is there a better way to approach that?

Attached Files:

Rideandrepair, cke and OLDSKOOLERnWV Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. SomeCanadian

SomeCanadian Light Load Member

Nov 11, 2021
    I’m likely not the best choice to listen to.

Would turning it around put the tracks flat then support the bucket as planned?
    Or other than you are using blocks it’s the same theory as a step decks load leveler. Consider securing the block as well.
    If folks are going to do this make sure you understand your trailers weight per foot limit.

4. Razororange

Razororange Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI
    You can stack whatever lumber you want under a load. The law is only concerned with preventing shifting and falling cargo.

Weight per foot limit is a dryvan/reefer thing. Open deck trailers have full length frame rails the are designed for heavy point loading. Box trailers have thin floors with the outer walls/ lower rails providing their strength.

Rideandrepair, cke, booley and 3 others Thank this.
  5. SomeCanadian

SomeCanadian Light Load Member

Nov 11, 2021
    … I have seen manufacturers stickers on stepdecks with full frame and rgns that specify weight per foot or weight per ten foot. I’m sure it had more to do with coils than a unit on tracks.

Rideandrepair and cke Thank this.
  6. OLDSKOOLERnWV

OLDSKOOLERnWV Captain Redbeard

Nov 29, 2011
    West Virginia
    Just turn the machine around and back it up over the tandems. Set your trailer width Timbers were the red lines are, and make sure the rear timber is above the yellow arrow to take the weight and not out on the ramp above the tires.

What’s that machine weigh about 15,000??

Secure the piss out of it and I would think you should be fine. As long as it can’t move there shouldn’t be an issue…..

IMG_4733.jpeg

Rideandrepair, cke, TX2Day and 6 others Thank this.
  7. truckdad

truckdad Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Penn Valley, CA
    What Oldschooler said. Make sure the blocks are "good" ones that wont crush and make sure there is plenty clearance over the tires.

8. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    Thank you so much. I never imagined we actually could load it that way.

That is super cool.

If we end up actually doing that I'm going to come back and check in and make sure we have everything exactly right.

That's awesome guys. Everybody please be safe.

9. truckdad

truckdad Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Penn Valley, CA
    If it fits, legal weight, it ships!!
    IMG_1327.JPG

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.