Can my boss tell me to come back to work before my 10 hrs off? Looking for clarification.

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Straz, Jul 18, 2018.

Do I call in? This is a fun poll.

Poll closed Jul 18, 2018.
  1. Heck ya! I'm past probation anyway

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. (maybe think about it) Poor choice because your new, but you are in the clear now, so ya do it!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Nah, make money man! Better to call in Friday and enjoy the weekend anyway!

2 vote(s)
    50.0%
  4. Absolutely not young man!

2 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I agree.

It's a corundum to me. It's there to use, but I just don't do well with it.

That dispatcher lost me as a driver to work for her company as soon she made her spine straight to stand over me and speak as FMCSA in a condescending voice about that particular hours problem that night. As if I was a child. Her delusions of complete and utter authority to "Allow" me to log 16 hours to resolve a 14 hour limit on logging her deliveries spoken just so in that tone seriously destroyed our working relationship.

God help anyone else working for her.

BUMBACLADWAR and tucker Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Look OP, I will give you some really good advice.

When presented with this problem and where you have to wait to get home to get a good nights sleep, ALWAYS TURN OFF YOUR PHONE.

If the boss complains, tell him your phone died and it had to be charged, if he calls the home phone (if you have one) then tell him you were sleeping over your mom's house because she has issues with something - like electrical.

Just get a good nights sleep. The freight will be there in the morning.

4. BUMBACLADWAR

BUMBACLADWAR Road Train Member

Dec 5, 2013
    Yes,youre now on "Sh.t List",...A Few Grunt Runs Will Follow...Eventually youll have to tell him "to go pack sand in your a.s...Im "taard",Not Doing It"...What R U Gonna Do About It? He will either fire ya,or think this guy /gal Doesnt take any Crap? It can be a "Gamble",but ,Who really cares? Its your "livelyhood",sometimes have to utter something like "im,too tired ,for safety reasons,sir,gonna have to get Rodney sir.Sometimes,make a stand or "suffer abuse".Idid this several times.Once they had 5 inches of snow fall in an hour,45mph winds etc.Called in,sir,I Dont "feel safe" doing this run ,Presently". Talked sh.t about it.Guess what? Load was still "sittin there",the Next Day.Huh...Couldnt Get "Nobody else to run it".Lol

x1Heavy, Straz and James122 Thank this.
  5. Straz

Straz Bobtail Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Midwest
    Again I do understand the 14hr workings and understand it. The whole part of still being able to work beyond the 14hr HOS was a new aspect for me.

I do appreciate the information though and thank you for it.

6. Straz

Straz Bobtail Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Midwest
    I appreciate the further clarification on the 395.

7. Straz

Straz Bobtail Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Midwest
    Used it on Monday.

tucker Thanks this.
  8. Straz

Straz Bobtail Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Midwest
    I have to use it every week, company wonders why we have a driver issue this is just one of them

BUMBACLADWAR and magoo68 Thank this.
  9. Straz

Straz Bobtail Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Midwest
    I had to call to get picked up, I do understand your sentiment however.

10. Straz

Straz Bobtail Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Midwest
    Oh this is going to be good, right after I punch I'm going to show them the 395 section and say they are in violation then see what do and watch them scramble. I will def email our safety person.

I already went through the #### list portion lol. Now it's a back and fourth game until this happened.

11. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Keep track of your 70. There is NO exception to that unless we are at war and you are hauling military support type freighting for the war effort or a post natural disaster in FEMA service.

Once you hammer your 70. That truck and you must not do anything at all until your recap gives it back or you take a 34.

If you are using a 16 exemption every week, then gtfo of that company. I only used it maybe twice in my lifetime. Otherwise if a planned 10 hour day is completely wrecked by something I'll just park it int he first truckstop for the day/night and worry about them getting me a new Appt time when they get it.

Straz Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.